The Epidemiologist/Data Quality Analyst within the Epidemiology and Surveillance Team of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Coronavirus Science Branch (CSB) will perform analyses in response to priority requests including clarifying race/ethnicity, occupations, and underlying medical conditions of reported COVID-19 cases and deaths. The CSB Epidemiology and Surveillance Team processes reported California cases of COVID-19 and provides daily timely surveillance data used by groups at CDPH as well as the California Department of Technology and the Governor’s Office to track and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Under the direction of the CSB Director and the Epidemiology and Surveillance Team leads, the Epidemiologist/Data Quality Analyst functions within an incident command structure (ICS) as part of the Epidemiology and Surveillance Team within the CSB.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to be considered.
Must be able to work flexible hours, including holidays and weekends. Successful candidate will be working remotely.
- Operate within Incident Command Structure (ICS) to respond to COVID-19 case report data-related needs of CDPH and the state of California.
- Respond to special data requests including clarifying race/ethnicity, occupations, and underlying medical conditions of reported COVID-19 cases and deaths.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with unit and team members via telephone and email.
- Clean data and maintain data quality and completeness.
- Analyze data as requested (e.g., to link birth record and death certificate data to CalREDIE COVID-19 cases to clarify race/ethnicity).
- Assist with the generation of data sets, data visualizations and written and oral reports.
- Present at meetings, if applicable.
- Participate in conference calls with epidemiology and laboratory partners at CDPH or other local and federal partners as needed.
- Perform other duties as directed by the CSB Director or Epidemiology and Surveillance Team leads.
- Collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Coordinate and facilitate teleconferences and meetings, as required.
- Perform other duties as directed by the CSB Director.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with public health and healthcare professionals and internal partners.
- Ability to perform data entry, data cleaning, and data quality assessment with attention to detail.
- Knowledge and application of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements and protection of health information.
- Knowledge and skills related to analysis of public health surveillance data.
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to complete assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and work independently.
- Demonstrate reliability and integrity.
- Prior knowledge and experience in use of CalREDIE, preferred.
- Fluency in spoken English is required.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field, required.
- Experience in data entry and analysis, required.
- Experience with clinical terminology and interpreting laboratory testing results, preferred.
- Strong knowledge and use of statistical software such as Statistical Analysis Software (SAS), required.
- Basic knowledge and use of data visualization software such as Tableau, preferred.
- Knowledge of and skilled in the use of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Power Point
- Stand Frequently
- Walk Frequently
- Sit Frequently
- Handling / Fingering Frequently
- Reach Outward Occasionally
- Reach Above Shoulder Occasionally
- Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend Occasionally
- Lift / Carry Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- Push/Pull Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- See (Vision) Constantly
- Taste/ Smell Not Applicable
Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
Frequently (2 - 5 hrs/day)
Occasionally (0 - 2 hrs/day)
Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
General Office Setting, Indoors Temperature Controlled
It is the policy of Heluna Health to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Heluna Health is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer that encourages minorities, women, veterans, and disabled to apply.