Senior Analyst - Investment Risk
Job ID 2020-106902 Employment Type Full Time Department Investment Management Hours / Pay Period 80 Facility Dignity Health System Office Shift Day Standard Hours varies Work Schedule 8 Hour Location CA-San Francisco
CommonSpirit Health is the largest not-for-profit health system in the United States with a community footprint across 21-states that includes: hospitals, urgent and occupational care, home health, and primary care centers. CommonSpirit Health formed as a result of the merger between Dignity Health and Catholic Health Initiatives, two leading Catholic health systems. CommonSpirit Health is committed to delivering compassionate, high-quality, affordable health care services with special attention to the poor and underserved. In 2019, the system invested over $2 billion in charity care, community health programs, and other community support programs.
The investment team of CommonSpirit Health is responsible for supporting all of the investment activities of the investment program. Corporate investments comprise approximately $22 billion in assets across various pools of capital including: operating, pension, endowment, and insurance. In addition, the defined contribution plans have total assets exceeding $11 billion. The investment team is primarily based in San Francisco, with some team members based in Denver.
Working for the CommonSpirit Health Investment Program is an opportunity to apply analytical and qualitative investment skills for the benefit of one of the nation’s largest health care systems and further its commitment to providing compassionate, high-quality, affordable health care. The successful candidate will be part of a collegial team, working to build a world-class investment organization to deliver strong long-term, risk-adjusted returns that incorporate our mission-aware investment philosophy.
Senior Analyst, Investment Risk Management and Compliance Opportunity
The Senior Analyst, Investment Risk Management and Compliance will report to the System Director, Investment Risk Management and Compliance. The role will support the investment risk and performance function across all asset classes. The role encompasses a broad range of activities aimed at supporting CommonSpirit Health’s objective to continue to achieve superior long-term risk-adjusted returns and be a thought leader in approaches to investment management, asset allocation and risk management. The Senior Analyst will play an important role as a member of CommonSpirit Health’s in-house risk and compliance team delivering quantitative analysis and insights to support the investment process.
- Collaborate with Director, Investment Risk and Compliance to select portfolio-level risk management systems and processes to monitor portfolio risks and exposures, and facilitate portfolio analysis, portfolio construction and rebalancing decisions.
- Work with investment staff to assess the underwriting of investment strategies and individual managers from a risk and return perspective from each of a standalone, asset class and portfolio perspectives.
- Design and maintain performance and risk related systems, databases and reporting.
- Partner with investment staff to develop decision-useful risk monitoring framework and the asset class level analytics.
- Regularly review and evaluate utilization of risk systems and tools; recommend changes and additions as appropriate.
- Conduct research and analysis on a wide variety of evolving topics and handle ad hoc projects, analyses, presentations and reports.
- Monitor the data, exposures and manager information for insights into investments and market environments.
- Utilize internal and external factor and risk analytics and tools.
- Assist with portfolio monitoring and portfolio construction, including development of analytical tools, collaboration with Operations, asset class updates, and team meeting updates.
- Motivated Self-Starter: Problem-solver with a track record of producing high quality deliverables on tight deadlines.
- Analytical: Strong analytical skills effectively applied to investment data. Fluency with common metrics and calculations with a nuanced appreciation of their strengths and limitations.
- Synthesizer: Effective and growing effectiveness in the synthesis of data and ability to integrate qualitative assessments. Identification of priorities and separating the signal from the noise. Able to form views based on blend of facts and opinions.
- Highly Curious: Values continuous learning and openness to new information. A person who reads and learns in order to expand knowledge and effectiveness as an investor, leader, and human.
- Collaborative: Energized by including team members in their process, sharing their expertise and opinions, and active listening to the ideas and views of others.
- Writer & Presenter: Skilled business writer and desire to expand effectiveness at written and oral communications.
- Confidently Humble: Effectively balances confidence in the accuracy and thoroughness of their work, acumen and experience with openness to learn, be wrong, or be disagreed with.
- Open to feedback.Nimble Project Management: Ability to work independently, juggle multiple tasks, deadlines, responsive to changing priorities and willing and eager to contribute beyond the direct scope of responsibilities.
- Detailed Oriented: Places a high value on accuracy, and emphasizes process and effective control points to minimize potential errors.
Skills and Qualifications:
Extensive experience conducting data analysis in Excel
Experience with third-party risk analytics solutions (e.g. MSCI BarraOne, BlackRock Aladdin, Bloomberg PORT, FactSet)
Working knowledge of at least one statistical programming language such as Python, R, SAS, or Matlab.
At least 3 years’ experience in investment and portfolio analysis and/or related fields.
Master’s degree in Financial Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics or other quantitative field
Holder of (or advancement toward) Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Financial Risk Manager (FRM), and/or interest in or possession of an advanced degree
Experience with data visualization tools, such as Tableau, Microsoft Power BI or QlikView
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed
Connect With Us!
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
to learn more about a career at Dignity Health and experience #humankindness.
Dignity Health is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please
Dignity Health will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c).
External hires must pass a post offer, pre-employment background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (415) 438-5575 and let us know the nature of your request . We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).