Commercial BIOS Customization Architect
Step up into a new organization built to specifically engage more strategically and deeply with our customers - specifically their architecture and engineering teams. Bridge our commercial customers unique requirements and priorities with our internal engineering efforts and a dedicated team of engineers responsible to improve the integration of our technologies and their product design. Drive excellence with Ryzen and Radeon powered systems both strategically and tactically. Work with the Engineering Director for our commercial solution development, deployment, and production issue resolution.
In this role, you will be one part master technologist, one part strategic requirement gatherer, and one part collaborative engineering tech lead.
An experienced PC-industry engineer with examples of previous work designing x86 systems. An effective communicator and influencer among technical people -- from junior engineers to executives -- both internal and customer facing teams. Crafts comprehensive plans for complex PC systems. Jumps in to build proofs of concepts that demonstrate solutions.
Draw on your consistent track record delivering complex systems as you collaborate closely between HW and SW. Build relationships with key customers, tackle problems, and manage expectations. Lead efforts detailing and clarifying platform requirements with partners and technical groups involved in the platform development process. Advise on system and firmware relevant to customer strategies for notebook, desktop & workstation solutions. Set priorities and drive development trade-offs as needed to deliver to customer schedules and quality requirements. Build clarity and rally teams across functions and geographies to deliver excellence.
Drive deep technical engagements with the customer to capture and define internal, 3rd party, and joint development requirements. Drive requirements to internal development teams to realize the customer requirements. Develop architecture diagrams and specifications which describe the operation and state of the system under multiple scenarios.
- Apply your expertise with PC architecture, including firmware, software, components, industry standards, regulations, security and other industry trends to transform engineering prototypes into viable commercial products for our partners. Minimum of at least 9 years of relevant industry experience expected.
- Validated proven experience in the design of x86 based platforms; knowledge of x86 and/or ARM SoC Architecture; and proficiency with x86 Assembly, C, and C#
- Solid understanding of UEFI, Coreboot, u-boot and other bootloader technologies
- Hands-on experience with BIOS, AMI Aptio, EDK2, and/or Linux codebases; practical use of board schematics and board block diagrams along with exposure to ACPI; and deep conceptual handle on performance as relates to thermal and power design
- TPM, TrustZone and other security enclaves that provide hardware based root of trust to the platform and an understanding of tampering, MS Windows platform security, Windows driver model, plus experience analyzing coredump
- Hands-on microcontroller firmware development (Cortex-M) and deep understanding of PC architecture buses like PCIe, USB, I2C and others
- Proficiency in operating system internals that demonstrate the interface of system firmware and operating systems
- Significant professional experience expected: BS + at least 9 years or MS + at least 7 years or PhD + at least 5 years
At least a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science degree or another comparable field
Requisition Number: 81682
Country: United States State: Texas City: Austin
Job Function: Design
AMD does not accept unsolicited resumes from headhunters, recruitment agencies or fee based recruitment services. AMD and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. We consider candidates regardless of age, ancestry, color, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religion, political and/or third party affiliation, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status. Please click for more information.