Responsible for maintaining and cleaning water/wastewater systems; identifying water meter equipment problems; and performing water meter and/or system maintenance activities.
- Performs manual labor such as installing, repairing, maintaining water/sewer lines and force mains.
- Maintains and tests water meters; performs new meter installation.
- Conducts a variety of tasks related to water and sewer infrastructure maintenance and rehabilitation.
- Installs, repairs and replaces underground water and wastewater mains and service laterals, using basic pluming tools, tapping machine, pipe cutters, reamer, pipe wrenches and assorted pneumatic and hydraulic tools.
- Inspects area for cross connection violations and other unsafe conditions.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records.
- Documents customer interaction and Field Activities in CC&B.
- Acts as liaison between the customers and customer service personnel for problem/complaint resolution.
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding meter reading schedule, billing, how meters are read and other customer service related matters.
- Provides on-site customer communication.
- Assists with maintaining mechanical, electrical and piping systems for area water/wastewater facilities, collections and distribution systems.
- Constant, independent travel daily between worksites on Company time.
- Must work On-Call in rotation as scheduled; responds to emergency situations as required.
- May assist AM with overseeing the daily tasks of other field technicians.
- May assist with repairs of water/wastewater treatment plant equipment.
- May walk 5 - 10 miles per day over established route, reading between 200 and 1200 meters per day and records volume used by residential and commercial customers.
- Determines consistency of meter readings; reports unusual cases of water usage to supervisor.
- Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage and unauthorized connections; ensures meters are registering properly.Indicates irregularities on forms for necessary action by servicing department.
- Turns off service for nonpayment of charges in vacant premises, or on for new occupants.
- Assists with ordering parts and job costing.
- Prepares a variety of operational reports related to water meter reading activities as well as collection and distribution systems.
- Assists with the installation and disconnection of water meters and sewer services.
- May perform routine tasks related to the operation of water/wastewater treatment facilities while learning the treatment process and plant equipment.
- May assist in maintaining plant compliance with Federal, state and local regulatory requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required: MS Word, Excel; ability to learn internal software programs
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to mentor, evaluate and guide staff to increase skill level, morale and efficiency.
- Ability to motivate others in pursuit of Company goals.
- Demonstrates initiative to take on new tasks.
- Possesses strong electrical and mechanical maintenance skills in the area of water and wastewater maintenance and repair, including working knowledge of collection and distribution systems, pumps, motors, controls and piping.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, vendors and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to read a variety of water meters.
- Ability to apply the methods, techniques, tools, equipment and materials used in the repair, installation and testing of water and flow meters.
- Ability to understand tariffs as they apply to assigned duties.
- Ability to read maps, electrical schematics, blueprints, etc.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read and transfer digits accurately.
Required: HS diploma or GED
Required: Must maintain a valid driver's license.
Preferred: Distribution and/or Collections certification as required by State regulatory laws, or the ability to attain certification within 12 months of hire.
*May be in the process of obtaining dual certifications or first-level operating license.
A minimum of three years water meter reading experience preferred, in addition to previous mechanical or maintenance experience; in-depth, working knowledge of water meters, care and operation of a variety of tools and equipment used in maintaining water/wastewater systems, and safe work practices. Knowledge of cross connection regulations and ability to report violations and other unsafe conditions.
Extreme physical demands, including lifting (75 lbs.), walking (10+ miles daily), climbing and mechanical repair. You will be expected to work in all weather conditions: rain, snow, extreme heat and cold, etc; you may encounter various potential hazards in the field.
Operates a Company issued motor vehicle, a variety of tools and equipment, including hand-held computers and hand tools; laptop, blackberry.
Within service area.
May include weekend scheduling; on-call duty, emergency response and paid overtime on a rotating basis may be required.
This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Management maintains the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Corix Group of Companies is an E-Verify participating employer.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth (or related medical condition), or any other characteristic protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.