This is NOT a remote position and requires people to be onsite (commute or relocate) in the Rochester, NY, Binghamton, NY or Charlotte, NC areas. Sponsorship IS NOT available for this position.
As a member of the Central Engineering leadership team, a Sr. Electrical Engineer is accountable for the electrical design and support of company products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Owns Electrical Engineering designs. Drives sound technical design in electronic, electrical, electron-mechanical circuits and integrated systems.
- Owns both product development and legacy electrical design. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the Product Development Process.
- Drives sound technical solutions against performance objectives.
- Authors functional specifications at the subsystem and system level.
- Travels to satellite locations, customer, and technology partners will be required from time to time.
- Participates in defining Electrical Engineering’s design, simulation, fabrication, analysis, measurement and verification toolsets.
- Experienced in simulation and the use of data capture test gear.
- Actively participates and may lead electrical design reviews. Fosters creative thought, as well as providing technical guidance, mentoring to less experienced electrical team members.
- BS Electrical Engineering, MS preferred. PE License a plus
- Ten + years of progressive technical design experience working in a team environment.
- Proven experienced electrical/electronic engineer, that enjoys mechanized system control.
- Proven experience addressing legacy technology and component obsolescence support.
- A track record of success delivering system solutions in a cross functional engineering environment with projects that involve 20+ engineers and last periods of over 9 months from conception to validated delivery.
- Experience in a capital equipment / automation hardware development environment is preferred.
- Experience interfacing with customers in challenging situations.
- Experience mentoring less experienced engineers is preferred.
- Strong depth of technical knowledge and experience in at least one of the following areas: (1) control system architecture(s), (2) embedded system design, (3) AC and DC power distribution & systems, (4) digital and analog circuit design. Must have general knowledge and experience in all areas.
- Must demonstrate the ability and passion for understanding complex electrical systems, troubleshooting, and being a champion for continued technology growth.
- Strong experience working within cross functional development teams consisting of mechanical, electrical, software and systems engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to translate system level requirements down to subsystem design requirements and ultimately determine proper component selection and design approach.
- Ability to develop and properly size within electrical system tolerance budgets.
- Electrical design responsibility includes: VME and PC based control architectures, single and 3-phase power management, AC/DC power distribution, DC power supply design, AC/DC wiring, motion control systems, I/O management, machine and PCA level analog & digital circuit design.
- Experience in the development of embedded systems utilizing ARM, DSP, FPGA, Memory, GPIO devices.
- Experienced simulating and modeling digital and analog circuit designs.
- Experienced in CAD tool sets for system and circuit board design schematics. i.e. Cadence, OrCad, AutoCad Electrical or equivalent.
- Experienced in test and validation of electrical systems by establishing controlled tests and capturing/analyzing physical test data.
- Familiarity with some or all of the following programming languages; C, C#, C++, Visual Basic, VHDL, PLC Ladder Logic.
- Experienced with architectures and interfaces; EtherNET, EtherCAT, Firewire, SPI, CAN, VME, PC, RS485, RS232.
- Knowledge of various fabrication methods as associated with electrical circuit board designs i.e. cabling, PCB fabrication, etc is preferred.
- Experience developing and supporting a system design for regulatory compliance. i.e. CE, UL.
- Hands on engineer that has a grasp of mechanized system design
- Technical communication, writing and presentation skills are at a level to present complex designs at a detailed level, as well as being versatile to present in easy-to-understand ways.