- Determine status of and conditions influencing health of military and appropriate private sector personnel, and formulate and recommend measures for health improvements.
- Conduct and supervise direct patient care, and plan and execute disease prevention and health promotion programs.
- Exercise command of medical units as provided by law and regulation.
- Perform special staff functions in combat health support for commanders at all levels.
- Conduct medical research on diseases of military importance, and conduct, supervise and participate in graduate medical education and training of other medical personnel needed to sustain a robust and readily available medical system.
- Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an accredited U.S. School of Medicine or Osteopathy; foreign graduates may apply with permanent certificates from the Educational Council of Foreign Medical Graduates.
- Current license to practice medicine in the United States, District of Columbia or Puerto Rico.
- Eligibility for board certification.
- Completion of at least one year of an approved graduate medical education internship.
- Completion of a training program in preventive medicine.
- Between 21 and 42 years of age (may be eligible for waiver).
- U.S. Citizenship.
- In addition to the above qualifications, permanent U.S. residency is required for Reserve officers.
- May be eligible for bonus.
- Low-cost medical care for you and your family.
- Receive drill pay.
- Up to $250,000 in qualifying loan repayment (up to $40,000 maximum per year) upon completing necessary required service.
- Opportunities for travel in support of humanitarian missions.
- Serve an estimated 36 days per year with possible schedule flexibility.
- May also be eligible for bonus.
- Up to $120,000 in qualifying loan repayment.
- Pay commensurate with a Captain (CPT/O-3) rank (or higher based on your experience).
- Travel opportunities to include humanitarian missions.
- Potential for overseas assignments (Germany, Italy, Hawaii to name a few).
- 30 days of paid vacation earned annually.
- A military retirement system.
- No-cost medical care for you and your family and low-cost dental/vision coverage.