**This is a weekend shift position**
The City of Norfolk's Department of Utilities is seeking qualified applicants for an Equipment Operator III in our Wastewater Division. This person will be responsible for driving various types of equipment to and from job sites, transporting crew, and doing routine maintenance on vehicles.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Operates construction and wastewater system maintenance equipment such as backhoes, jet/vactor cleaners, trenchers, and dump trucks.
- Transports heavy equipment, supplies, and materials to job sites.
- Performs safety checks, maintenance, and minor repairs on equipment and tools.
- Assists with loading/unloading materials, job site tasks, and maintaining clean equipment and work areas.
- Lifts up to 75 lbs., climbs, stands, pulls, bends, stoops throughout portions of the work day.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Two years experience as an Equipment Operator. Underground utility system experience highly preferred.
Additional Information & Requirements
Valid driver's license, CDL required. May require CDL with Tanker Endorsement within six months of hire, depending upon assignment.
The desired candidate will possess a Class A Commercial Driver's License.
Work Location: Combined Operations, 1316 Ballentine Blvd.
Work Hours: Friday through Monday from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; This position is eligible for a 10 % shift differential
Pre-employment testing on the operation of equipment may be required.
This position is designated as an 'Essential' position and you may be required to work extended, rotating, on call, nights, weekends, and/or holidays in response to emergencies or severe weather.
- Consideration for an interview is based solely on the information provided within this application.YOUR RESPONSES TO THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS WILL BE REVIEWED AND VERIFIED WITH THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDED IN THE BODY OF YOUR APPLICATION.
- To check the status of your application refer to your GovernmentJobs.com account for the latest update.
- Applications must include complete work history, including periods of unemployment if applicable. Writing "See resume" with no other information is considered an incomplete application and will not be considered.
- Regular full-time and permanent part-time employees may receive paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, employer paid pension plan, basic life insurance, voluntary participation in medical and dental, Section 457 deferred compensation, long-term disability, optional life insurance for self, spouse and children, medical and dependent care reimbursement plans, access to membership in credit union and employer provided parking .
- Special project/grant employees are generally eligible for the same benefits of regular full-time employees; however, retirement, life insurance and participation in health plans vary depending upon funding and authorization.
- Temporary/seasonal and part-time employees are generally only eligible for employer provided parking and access to membership in credit union.
The benefits described above are broad generalizations. The specific benefits that an employee may be eligible for are governed by City regulations, as applicable to job type.
Positions listed with a job type designation of "Non-City" are not subject to the benefits descriptions above. Refer to the content of the job posting for information regarding these positions.
The City of Norfolk