At K&L Gates, we are looking for smart, imaginative and hard-working people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and ideas to join us. Perhaps our search for talented visionaries and your search for important and impactful work lead to the same place.
We are seeking a Client Billing Specialist to join the Pittsburgh office. The Client Billing Specialist is responsible for accurate and timely completion of all high level administrative and assistant work assigned by Partners and Senior Associates. The Client Billing Specialist is responsible for producing billable hours as well as observing confidentiality on all client matters and adheres to all procedures and guidelines set by the firm. The Client Billing Specialist role provides considerable knowledge of legal procedures and terminology within particular practice areas along with the ability to follow complex instructions and work on his/her own initiative under limited supervision.
Candidates must be self-starters who possess the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Excellent communication skills and a commitment to providing the highest quality client service are strongly preferred.
Supervising partner(s), practice group chairs, and lawyers; Director of Administration; Firmwide Director of Paralegals; Paralegal Manager; paralegals, and clients.
- Performing complex legal secretarial activities that may be highly confidential or sensitive, requiring diplomacy and discretion.
- Coordinates and participates in specific initiatives related to client development or maintenance efforts led by, and in conjunction with, members of the Marketing and Business Development team.
- Works with lawyers to provide client relationship projects and tasks support.
- Examines, organizes, summarizes, and analyzes information relating to particular questions to create a logical and usable work product.
- Key point of contact in client relationships regarding billing, projects, issues, etc.
- Creating, editing, and proofreading letters, legal documents, and memos, including checking documents for content and context.
- Organizing and maintaining all correspondence and documents using the relevant document management system.
- Managing emails, calendar appointments, and client contact lists.
- Scheduling meetings and coordinating all logistics.
- Scheduling meetings and coordinating all logistics.
- Training, assisting, and providing orientation for new and less experienced members of staff.
- Using internal library resources for external research as directed by timekeepers.
- Managing physical and electronic files, including intake, retention, retrieval, and transfer of records.
- Utilizes the firm’s software and technology, specifically any practice-group driven technology.
- Running critical document checks to ensure all files have been appropriately saved.
- Coordinating entering, editing, and tracking daily time recording when required for assigned timekeepers.
- Opening files and conducting conflict checks.
- Coordinating, verifying, and obtaining appropriate approvals for all domestic and international travel arrangements with the firm’s travel provider and processing related business expense reimbursements.
- Assisting other practice assistants with overflow work and providing backup support during periods of annual or personal leave.
- Providing backup support for reception and office or client services functions, depending on location.
- Assisting clients when needed, for example, with document revisions, faxing, or photo copying.
- Performing other relevant duties in the particular practice area as directed by the immediate supervisor, including, but not limited to, Practice Area Leader/ Coordinator or Department Head administrative work, practice development initiatives, and project work.
- Working overtime as occasionally required.
EXPERIENCE SKILLS REQUIRED
- Minimum of two (2) years’ relevant work experience in the legal field.
- Working understanding of the legal terminology specific to the practice group.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and the ability to be trained on specific practice group technology.
- Displays the ability to express himself/herself clearly using proper grammar and appropriate vocabulary; comments are organized and precise; is able to describe a set of facts in an organized, clear, and unambiguous fashion.
- Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High attention to detail and the ability to follow up on assignments in situations where there is little or no guidance, structure a system from minimal instruction, and submit a flawless work product.
- Positive, flexible and committed attitude.
- Ability and time management skills to work independently and meet deadlines in an atmosphere of frequent interruptions.
- Critical thinking skills sufficient to make decisions regarding daily work, a willingness to follow instructions, and responsibility to bring all problems, concerns, or discrepancies to the attention of the supervising lawyer.
- Remain current in practice area industry trends and in the legal profession.
- Use own judgment in decision making to solve problems and achieve business outcomes.
- Organize and prioritize own workload and help timekeepers with their organization.
- Take the initiative in handling projects and anticipating what needs to be done.
- Understand and follow specific and detailed instructions in oral and written form.
- In addition to the qualities and skills discussed above, candidates for “practice area specific” positions require certain specific educational credentials and skills. These candidates are expected to have academic expertise in the practice area of interest as well as the generic skills previously described.
- This job operates in an office setting and is largely sedentary, requiring the routine use of a computer and other standard office equipment. The ability to open file cabinets, lift files, bend, and stand on a stool may also be required.
The compensation salary for this position will be determined during the interview process and will vary based on multiple factors, including but not limited to prior experience, relevant expertise, current business needs, and market factors.
ABOUT THE FIRM
K&L Gates is a fully integrated global law firm with lawyers located across five continents in more than 40 offices. We have experienced dramatic growth in the past decade and now rank among the largest U.S. based law firms in the world. We take pride in constantly striving for innovation, imagination and an entrepreneurial spirit. We come up with big ideas and then roll up our sleeves to get the job done, guiding our clients through their most complex issues in a variety of industry sectors and across multiple regions of the world.
The industry recognition the firm has garnered emanates from the foundation of a global community aligned on behalf of our clients. The people at K&L Gates are committed to working together to create a legacy for each other, the firm, our clients, and the communities in which we serve. We thrive in an inclusive and socially conscious environment that embraces diversity and takes a holistic approach to the career evolution of all our professionals.
For more information or to view other job opportunities, please click to go back to our careers page.
Notice: We participate in E-Verify in certain Firm locations for purposes of verifying employment eligibility.
K&L Gates offers our personnel a comprehensive suite of benefits to help meet your needs now and in the future. Depending on your eligibility, options for full-time personnel include:
- Medical/Prescription Drug Coverage (including a Health Savings Account feature)
- Back-up Child/Elder Care and access to a caregiving concierge
- Dental Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Vision Insurance
- Pre-tax Commuting Benefits
- 401(k) Retirement Plan and Profit Sharing
- Business Travel Accident Insurance
- Short- and Long-term Disability Protection
- Pet Insurance
- Life Insurance (including Basic, Supplemental, Spouse, Child, and Accidental Death and Dismemberment)
- Health Advocacy Services
- Paid Time Off (20 days/year through first 4 years of employment; 25 days/year after 5 years of employment)
- Identity Protection/Restoration and Fraud Insurance
- Parental Leave (18 weeks of which 6 are paid; short-term disability may provide additional paid time off)
- Student loan refinancing options and access to a student loan concierge service
- Paid Holidays (12)
- Addiction Resources
- Family Building Benefits
- Breast Milk Delivery and Lactation Support Services
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employees also may be eligible to receive bonuses and certain expense reimbursements
- Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development and CLE Credit Opportunities
- 529 Deductions
- Accident Insurance
- Employee Referral Program
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Hybrid/Remote Work Opportunities
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
- Perks including: Technology, Entertainment, and Travel Discount Programs
- Bereavement Leave
- All other benefits (such as leaves of absence) required by law
The Firm is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications, competence, and business need. Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related conditions), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy governs all aspects of employment including, without limitation, recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotion, assignment, and dismissal. In addition, it is the Firm’s policy to provide an environment that is free of all unlawful harassment including, without limitation, that based on sex, race, age, disability, or national origin. The Firm complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact .