- Serves as the principal advisor to the Director, Deputy Director, CFO and other top management officials on matters of budget policy, legislation, laws, federal rules and regulations, and procedural guidelines. Develops or recommends financial management policies, procedures, and instructions concerning budget planning, programming, budgeting and execution. Performs a wide range of analytical, technical, and advisory functions related to the end-to-end budget processes.
- Processes and prepares detailed analysis and estimates of annual funding needs for the organization and link those needs to the organization’s strategic and annual performance plans. Develops and issues budget guidelines and instructions for program managers; drafts or issues budget calls requesting information regarding funding needs and program information. Gathers, compares, and correlates information about projected costs of current and future programs and activities.
- Conducts cost benefit analyses to develop budget estimates for the desired level of program operations for review by the top management officials. Drafts or recommends required written justification for proposed requests for funds in conjunction with program managers and participates with top management officials in finalizing the justifications for the proposed budget.
- Advises management officials concerning organizational strategy for responding to OMB questions or requests for additional budget justifications. On behalf of the CFO, performs as PDS’ liaison to OMB for purposes of reiterating budgetary needs, communicating justification content, and negotiating appeals. Attends OMB budget review hearings, provide advice or assistance to top management officials during the hearings, and as required, testify on certain budget questions or issues. Reviews and analyses the OMB approved budget by line items and, as directed, prepare any appeals relating to certain OMB budget actions or decisions. Upon OMB decisions on appeals, prepares a final budget submission to OMB within OMB approved guidelines and instructions.
- Prepares final annual budget request for submission to Congressional appropriations committees. Advises and assists the top management officials with the process of Congressional review of the budget request. Performs as liaison to Congressional Appropriations Committees for purposes of reiterating budgetary needs, communicating justification content, and negotiating appeals. With appropriate OMB clearance, responds to questions or requests for additional budget information from Congressional staff. Acts as an advisor to the Director, Deputy Director and CFO during Congressional hearings on budgetary and related program matters.
- Develops and manages a system of administrative controls designed to monitor, check, and control the use of agency funds. Assure that the obligations incurred and resulting expenditures of funds are in accordance with existing laws and regulations. Reviews requests from program offices for availability of funds, legality, and assessment of priority and certifies fund(s) availability for those requests.
- Establishes and maintains a variety of records and documents relating to budget execution. Monitors budget execution including obligations, balance of funds, projections of expenditures and trend analysis. Assists management officials in making informed decisions by preparing monthly and special budget execution reports. Acts as backup to the Staff Accountant for reviews of year-to-date obligations and disbursements on all accounts, and reconciles differences.