Psych Tech - Psychiatric Technician
Southern Hospitality mixed with a cultural diversity and coastal living
The Community - Havelock, NC
Located in Eastern North Carolina in Craven County right in between the historical New Bern and the stunning beaches of the Crystal Coast, Havelock offers many things to its residents and visitors. The Crystal Coast is not named crystal without a reason donned with radiant CRYSTAL waters it creating mesmerizing views. Two beautiful rivers meet in New Bern, where you'll find Tryon Palace, spectacular gardens, historic homes, quaint shops, cozy restaurants and lively entertainment frame downtown streets. Farther south, you can enjoy MCAS Cherry Point and the 157,000 acre Croatan National Forest, nationally recognized for its trails and recreation opportunities.
Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point
Often referred to as the "Gateway to Cherry Point, Havelock is home to Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point and the 15,500 sailors, Marines and civilians that work on base. A number of services are available to the military and their dependents, ranging from housing to recreational opportunities. Other facilities on the air station are designed to afford military personnel a wide variety of conveniences and recreation. The newly remodeled Marine Corps Exchange offers a department store, furniture store, grocery store, flower shop, liquor store and a number of small shops. There are also dry-cleaning and laundry facilities, a child-development center, a bank, a credit union and a service center with a convenience store, and a number of restaurants. Recreational facilities geared to Marines and their dependents include a large gymnasium, fitness center, three pools, a bowling center, a golf course, a boat ramp, a number of marinas and the base stables.
The Sound of Freedom Golf Course has been opened to the public. Recently renovated, the 18-hole course is located directly on the picturesque Neuse River with great water views, a character unique to the area. The course features a 24-hour driving range, chipping area, practice putting green, club rentals, a snack bar and a certified PGA teaching pro on staff. The close rapport between the city and air station authorities allows mutual support of festivals, shows and family attractions. Craven County schools serve military families and vice versa.
POSITION OVERVIEW (duties include but are not limited to)
- Perform assigned patient care, procedures under the direct supervision of a professional nurse or credentialed/licensed independent professional (LIP) provider
- Demonstrate sound psychiatric nursing theoretical and practical approaches in providing patient care
- Demonstrate a sound understanding and assist in the management of a therapeutic milieu; providing structure, social support, patient education, safety, and social skills training
- Monitor, escort, and/or act as a therapeutic participant in patient activities in the outpatient psychiatric clinic and outpatient programs
- Provide care for patients utilizing proper infection control and safety techniques as planned and/or ordered. Document per clinic policy and notify the mental health provider in charge of any abnormal or unusual findings in a timely manner
- Utilize therapeutic assessment and interview skills to illicit accurate and concise accounts of the patient's condition. Document patient care using proper terminology that is in accordance with MTF policy
- Utilize sound judgment and crisis intervention skills, including physical restraint, to prevent or reverse situations which may be potentially harmful. Follow command and clinic specific policies for Seclusion/Restraint, Elopement and Management of the Assaulted patient
- Exhibit a basic knowledge of psychotropic medications including actions, side effects and common dosages. Follow command policies and procedures for the administration and documentation of scheduled and PRN medications. Inform the mental health provider in charge of any errors, discrepancies, or adverse patient reactions
- Screen patients to determine presenting problems and priority of appointment. This may entail telephone triage or in-person evaluation. Perform basic assessment procedures, including initial screening evaluation and standardized psychological testing. Assist credentialed providers with identifying mental health diagnosis and treatment strategies, as well as providing patient education
- Assist in providing specialized treatment and rehabilitation of mental health patients. Assist in conducting individual and group therapy sessions. Observe, monitor, report, and record patient interaction and progress. Institute precautionary measures to prevent patient injuries due to suicide, homicide, or elopement. Perform verbal and manual restraint and apply mechanical restraints as needed
- Present or facilitate a variety of health and wellness programs, including stress management, suicide intervention, and smoking cessation. Conduct various programs in support of the clinic
- Coordinate with other base agencies and Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs) regarding specialized care, treatment, and administrative functions. Contact military or community agencies to obtain collateral information. Explain and interpret mental health services and procedures to access care to patients and commands. Assist in or arrange for patient referral to other facilities for alternate level of care
- Provide care to mentally ill or emotionally disturbed patients and participate in rehabilitation and treatment programs
- Measure and record patient's general physical condition, such as pulse, temperature, and respiration, to provide daily information. Observe patients to detect behavior patterns and report observations to medical staff
- Co-facilitate prescribed individual or group therapy sessions as part of specific therapeutic procedures
- Regularly interface with staff and patients to assess needs and continuously improve the quality of service delivered
- Current certification as a Psychiatric Technician by the American Association of Psychiatric Technicians.
- Evidence of completion of Military Psychiatric Technician Training.
- Possess a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology or Social Work.
- Possess at least 1 year full time experience within the preceding 2 years as either a Psychiatric Technician or Mental Health Technician.