Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Research Assistant III Bench position is responsible for providing senior level of support for laboratory-based research. Under minimal supervision will perform wide variety of complex tasks requiring practical understanding of scientific techniques and advanced knowledge of scientific theory. This position is expected to assist scientists, both independently and collaboratively, with laboratory and investigative procedures. The Lead Research Assistant Bench position performs various assays, imaging experiments, and other technical duties to assist with the research activities of the laboratory and may be required to work with animal models and/or human subjects. This position support may include bench techniques, work with laboratory animals, scientific writing, and data analysis.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
- Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
- Focuses on patient/customer safety
- Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
- Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
- Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
- Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20% * Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the laboratory by actively communicating and reporting data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Participates in lab meetings. (EF)
- Role models excellent, clear and professional communication skills to achieve mutual understanding and problem resolution. Demonstrates a positive work environment and contributes to a team-focused work environment that actively helps one another achieve department goals. Collaborates with all members of the research team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent information as it relates to assigned system(s) in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Performs bench chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology or other scientific techniques with sufficient autonomy under the general experimental guidance of the principal investigator. (EF)
- Performs collection of blood, tissue or other biological specimen. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and education of department-based safety initiatives and standards of practice. (EF)
- Maintains safety, emergency preparedness, material safety data sheet (MSDS) and other laboratory specific procedures. (EF)
- Reviews work of research team. Collects, records, compiles and analyzes complex data. (EF)
- Leads the implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives and standards of practice. (EF)
- Contributes towards department financial targets, optimizing efficiency and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
- Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
- Bachelors of Arts or Bachelors of Science in related filed.
- Four years of relavent experience in research and or academic field.
- May be required depending on position, refer to addendum if necessary
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Demonstrates independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action
- Strong training, leadership, and mentoring skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, energetic, and able to prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to complete work within designated time frames
- Ability to offer suggestions and implement change to enhance efficiency and organization of office operations
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _Lab Environment_
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Research Institute was formed in 2004 to rapidly and efficiently translate discoveries made in the laboratory and the clinic into new diagnostics, therapies and treatments. The research institute was created to provide the infrastructure and support for these endeavors, and to house the technology and resources needed to make innovative breakthroughs in important areas of human disease. A 540,000 square foot building dedicated to research, the research institute houses over 1,500 staff and trainees, 277 principal investigators and has more than 840 ongoing clinical trials.