The Radiology Access Specialist acts as first line of insurance for patient safety to minimize exposure and risk. The position serves a critical role in insuring patient orders for imaging exams and procedures are in compliance with regulatory requirements including appropriate use documentation/criteria and prior authorization. This position provides complex scheduling services for all Diagnostic Imaging exams and procedures while demonstrating exceptional customer services and critical thinking skills. Exercises professional judgment in performance of duties and maintains a demeanor complementary to medical ethics. Communicates professionally with medical and Radiology staff to ensure quality care.
- High School Diplomoa
- Basic computer knowledge and Successful completion of Medical Terminology Course (within 6 months of hire)
- Associates degree
- 2 years of employment demonstrating successful customer service and 1 year of medical office experience
- Advanced knowledge of computers and information systems, healthcare and Radiology information systems.
- Maintenance of health records, such as Picture Archive Communication System (PACS), Radiology Film File maintenance, Powershare and Epic.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Telephone customer service.
- Positive interpersonal relationships in dealing with coworkers, supervisors and physicians. Medical terminology.
- Refer to policy manual for specific instructions/guidelines.
- Follow established Policies and Procedures.
- Adhere to the standards of the job description and overall philosphy of Bozeman Health.
- Maintain flexibility to adapt to a variety of workload assignments.
- Ability to work long hours in stressful situations.
- Work independently with minimal supervison. Coordinates Radiology access with patient safety, compliance, appropriateness and timeliness.
45% Time Spent - Pre-encounter Compliance and Verification
- Effectively ensures patient safety relative to radiology exams and procedures, including screening for contraindications, allergies and other concerns
- Prepares patient with appropriate pre-examination information and materials including administration of contrast media
- Ability to triage based on patient needs, clinical needs of staff and physicians, acuity and census
- Demonstrates compliance and educates regarding complex Radiology compliance requirements, prior authorization, exam frequency and appropriateness
- Manages and prioritize tasks simultaneously while working directly with patients who may exhibit diverse needs
- Ensures documentation for orders comply with CMS required appropriate use criteria.
- Assists patients in benefit eligibility and determination, including prior authorization, medical necessity and frequency
- Adheres to state and federal rules regarding privacy and confidentiality of protected health information.
- Complies with HIM standards and regulations regarding the release of patient information
- Coordinates complex appointment schedules and patient management for exams and procedures for hospital, outpatient, imaging center and medical clinic environments
- Customer Service
- Ensures quality customer service while assisting patients, care providers and others in a courteous, professional and confidential manner.
- Demonstrates a friendly, positive attitude, display energy and drive in performing daily responsibilities.
- Technical Skills
- Demonstrates proficiency in computer applications including PACS, MRS, Imagenow, Powershare and EMR.
- Ability to maneuver in multi technology environment with regard to digital imaging and radiology record management
- Effectively multitask without compromising quality.
- Emotional Intelligence / Critical Thinking
- Effectively demonstrates critical thinking necessary to evaluate appropriateness of order in relation to; medical necessity, appropriate use criteria, CMS and federal requirements, radiology coding and compliance
- Ability to handle difficult situations, remain calm under stress, manage emotional situations, display empathy and maintain positive communication in a rapidly changing/dynamic environment
- Demonstrates independent analytical skills for effective and timely problem solving
- Must be flexible and adaptable in a changing work environment including the willingness to adjust work schedules in response to department or clinical needs.
- Professionally communicates through electronic, written and verbal methods.
- Participates in the implementation, monitoring, and improvement of the hospital quality indicators as described in the strategic plan.
- Performs ancillary duties as required to maintain proper distribution, billing, and archival of exams and procedures.
- Maintains complete and accurate telephone messages for department, ensuring the accurate routing of messages.
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital