Herberger Construction Company, Inc. is primarily a heavy highway construction company based in Indianola, Iowa. Our primary focus is bridge construction, but we also drive piling and construct flood and retaining walls, pump stations and culverts. Herberger Construction received an AGC award from a committee of peers, based on quality of work, job particulars, budge and other criteria.
Check out a few of out projects:
Like a road's base installation, Herberger Construction employees form the foundation of our business.
We are 3rd generation company that has been in business in Iowa for over 70 years. While we primarily operate in central Iowa, we have built bridges in all 99 Iowa counties and completed a bridge in Lawrence, Kansas in 2009.
Construction laborers typically do the following:
- Clean and prepare construction sites by removing debris and possibly hazards.
- Load or unload building materials to be used in construction.
- Build or take apart bracing, barricades, forms, scaffolding, and temporary structures.
- Dig trenches, back-fill holes, or compact earth to prepare for construction.
- Operate or tend equipment and machines used in construction, such as a cutting torch.
- Help other craft workers with their duties.
- Follow construction plans and instructions from the people they are working for.
- Climbing ladders and working on uneven ground.
- Working outdoors in all seasons.
- Being able to work together as a team.
- Report each day on time ready and willing to work.
- Ensure reliable transportation to and from the project.
- Ensure project safety rules and environmental regulations are followed at all times.
- Standard hand tools (Power tools are supplied).
- Communicate daily with superintendent/foreman and/or project manager.
- Take direction provided by superiors and implement construction best practices to complete the tasks assigned.
- Experience on heavy highway construction project.
- Must be comfortable working at heights.
- Understanding of safety risks (OSHA), and the precautions required to eliminate those risks.
- Must have god communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction materials, tools, equipment, and methods.
- Ability to think clearly in critical and high pressure situations.
- Minimum of one year construction experience.
- High School Diploma/GED is required.
Math Skills: Laborers need to perform basic math calculations to do their job. They often help with measuring on job-sites or they may be part of a surveying crew.
Mechanical Skills: Laborers frequently are required to operate and maintain equipment, such as jackhammers.
Physical Stamina: Laborers must have endurance to perform strenuous tasks throughout the day. Highway laborers, for example, spend hours on their feet--often in hot/cold temperatures--with few breaks.
Physical Strength: Laborer often must lift heavy materials or equipment up to 75+ lbs.
Benefits: Union Benefits after 600 Hours.
Herberger Construction Company, Inc. is committed to providing Equal Opportunity in Employment, to all applicants and employees regardless of regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, military status, veteran status, handicap, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $19.85 to $21.85
- High School or equivalent
- Construction: 1 year
- Bridge Building: 1 year
- Driver's License