The purpose of the Epidemiology and Surveillance Team within the COVID-19 California Department of Public Health (CDPH) response is to maintain and provide case-based surveillance and epidemiologic data for COVID-19 cases reported in the state of California. This team works to meet the demands for timely and highly visible surveillance data used by groups at CDPH as well as the California Department of Technology and the Governor’s Office to track and respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. This team is responsible for accurately reporting cases of COVID-19 and required data elements to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in accordance with the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists guidance.
The Epidemiologist/Data Analyst functions within an incident command structure (ICS) as part of the Epidemiology and Surveillance Team and interacts with numerous CDPH programs, local health departments (LHDs), and CDC to perform essential functions.
Applicants must submit a cover letter and resume to be considered.
- Coordinate and interact with state and local public health departments, laboratories, Communicable Disease (CD) Controllers and other health agencies.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with involved partners via telephone and email.
- Ensure that the needs of the Epidemiology and Surveillance Team are met, to the extent possible.
- Establish and maintain standardized methods of data collection in the California Reportable Disease Information Exchange (CalREDIE) or external electronic databases.
- Clean data and maintain data quality and completeness.
- Analyze data as requested (e.g. to determine number and rate of COVID-19 cases, stratify data by jurisdiction, demographics, and key factors, monitor and assess for trend)
- Assist with the generation of data sets, data visualizations and written and oral reports.
- Present at meetings, if applicable.
- Participate in conference calls with epidemiology and laboratory partners at CDPH, CDC, California LHDs, healthcare facilities, and other state and local health departments.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
- Collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Coordinate and facilitate teleconferences and meetings, as required.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Science Branch Director.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with public health and healthcare professionals and internal partners.
- Ability to perform data entry, data cleaning, and data quality assessment with attention to detail.
- Knowledge and application of Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements and protection of health information.
- Knowledge and skills related to analysis of public health surveillance data.
- High level analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to complete assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks and work independently.
- Demonstrate reliability and integrity.
- Prior knowledge and experience in use of CalREDIE, preferred.
- Fluency in spoken English is required.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field, required.
- Experience in data entry and analysis, required.
- Experience with clinical terminology and interpreting laboratory testing results, preferred.
- Strong knowledge and use of statistical software such as Statistical Analysis Software (SAS), preferred.
- Basic knowledge and use of data visualization software such as Tableau, preferred.
- Knowledge of and skilled in the use of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Power Point
- Stand Frequently
- Walk Frequently
- Sit Frequently
- Handling / Fingering Frequently
- Reach Outward Occasionally
- Reach Above Shoulder Occasionally
- Climb, Crawl, Kneel, Bend Occasionally
- Lift / Carry Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- Push/Pull Occasionally - Up to 50 lbs
- See (Vision) Constantly
- Taste/ Smell Not Applicable
Constantly (5+ hrs/day)
Frequently (2 - 5 hrs/day)
Occasionally (0 - 2 hrs/day)
Not Applicable Not required for essential functions
General Office Setting, Indoors Temperature Controlled
It is the policy of Heluna Health to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.