The Role: This Program Manager will work with a high performing team in Vivint Smart Home’s Innovation group, leading them to deliver innovative products and leading services, working across operational and product/engineering groups to deliver outcomes while contributing to improving the way we work together.
The Program Manager will lead a single program or multiple programs depending on size and complexity, including multiple project streams across Vivint’s Innovation Center teams (product management, hardware and software engineering, UX, design, QA) as well as Vivint’s broader operational groups (supply chain, operations, IT, marketing, finance).
The role will cover projects from full new product development, to product feature development and revisions of hardware or software updates or product pilots. Depending on the size and complexity of the program, a program manager may manage all the above aspects or may be part of a team with a lead program manager to deliver the scope. At the fundamental level, the program manager’s role in Vivint is to lead a broad team and manage scope, budget, schedule and quality with high order ability to bring people and teams together.
They should be able to identify risks, discuss necessary tradeoffs to maintain track with program goals, and negotiate between stakeholders to deliver a product that will delight our customers, and meet our business goals.
- OWNERSHIP: Own the plan, schedule and budget for your assigned program and projects. Understand priorities and create clear plans to deliver. Communicate with stakeholders and partners. Set and meet commitments. Set specific release dates and milestones with the team and keep them focused on owning those accountabilities while communicating needs for support or issues that put those at risk.
- LEADERSHIP: Know Vivint’s strategic priorities, and make sure the team’s work is aligned to the top priorities. Partner with engineering teams to deliver working solutions in software, products and systems. Set schedules and create strong execution plans to develop products and features to bring to market. Partner with the Product, Engineering, Supply Chain, external partners and Operations team to drive the program. Work across teams to review proposed scope and provide Level of Effort (LOE) estimates as well as suitable tradeoffs for quality and business risk.
- COMMUNICATION: Create appropriate communications to update the business regularly on status, risks and support needed to be successful. Provide weekly status updates communicating progress towards commitment in terms of scope, schedule, and cost.
- RISK AND ISSUE MANAGEMENT: Lead the team to identify risks up front, manage and mitigate them and monitor residual risks and any issues that arise. Track tasks and lead a culture of accountability in the team and across the business. Setup excellent change and risk management practices to keep work on track.
● Work closely with the Innovation leadership team to craft realistic project plans for key initiatives
● Lead a team of cross-functional resources through software, hardware, and operational readiness phases
● Manage vendor relationships
● Successfully manage cost, schedule and scope of projects
● Communicate effectively across, up and down the organization
REQUIRED SKILLS / COMPETENCIES:
- Team Leadership, ability to establish a leadership identity within the respective groups and overall stakeholder organizations and partners.
- Demonstrate the ability and track record of leading in project delivery and excellence in communication.
- Demonstrate passion to succeed, inspire and motivate the team.
- Strong negotiation skills as well as ability to facilitate informed and timely decisions and mediating tradeoffs with various groups to deliver a product on time and ready for market.
- Deliver clear, concise professional verbal and written communication that is appropriate to the situation and audience. Including commitment to transparency, and stakeholder-based communication.
- Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills, including an ability to clearly communicate with both business and technical audiences.
- Encourage participation & decision-making by all team members and effectively manage group dynamics.
- Experience working with remote and overseas teams and ability to engage across various cultural and language environments.
- Willingness to travel and participate in after-hours calls as required when working with partners in other geographic locations.
- Honesty & Integrity: do the right thing
- Customer Obsession: relentless passion to serve the customer
- Innovation: innovation is essential – today’s innovation is tomorrow’s lifeblood
- Winning Together: individuals win games; teams win championships
- Exceptional: create value, not just motion
- Giving Back: helping people
- Accountability: holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear message to different audiences
- Growth Mindset: frame of mind where basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work while embracing resilience, change, and nimble learning
- People Skills: ability to communicate effectively on an interpersonal level; manage conflict positively; work productively with others to find solutions and reach agreement, and motivate and inspire others
- Influence: the capacity to be a compelling force on or produce effects on the actions, behavior, and opinions of stakeholders
- Business Acumen: applying knowledge of company business and the industry to achieve organizational goals
- Executive Presence: the way to carry yourself, present yourself, communicate with others, and project competence and calm • High-Performing Teams: create common vision, goals, metrics and collaborate, challenge and hold each other accountable to achieve outstanding results
- Min. 5+ years professional experience in program management in a cross-functional matrixed environment.
- Experience delivering software projects with internal and external partners across product management, engineering, quality assurance, design, operations, marketing, etc. Hardware and Software experience combined is not mandatory, but a clear aptitude and willingness to work with those domains is needed.
- Bachelors' degree in Business, Engineering or a related field with formal project management training (preferably PMP or similar qualifications).
- Track record of leading others & positive change in project definition, project delivery, and process improvement.
- Working experience with project methodologies and software delivery methodologies such as agile, waterfall, PMP, and hardware development lifecycles.
- “Owner’s attitude”, including a willingness to tackle complex problems through to solution
- Ability to work both independently and cross-function with minimal supervision
- Ability to multi-task priorities and initiatives