Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) the Controller is an integral member of the finance and accounting team and supervises the day to day activities associated with the accounting, financial management and payer reimbursement activities for Orchard Hospital.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Accounting.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years finance and accounting experience in a senior accountant, accounting manager, or controller capacity.
- Hospital accounting experience preferred - Critical Access Hospital (CAH) and Medi-Cal Hospital Fee Program experience highly preferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience.
- Health insurance plan contracting experience is preferred.
- Advanced computer skills including Electronic Heath Record (EHR) navigation, ad hoc report development, Microsoft Word and Excel (advanced competency required).
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills in order to maintain effective working relationships with patients, providers, employees and leadership.
- Must possess current driver's license.
- Responsibility for preparing monthly financial reports and leading the reporting process including actual to budget and variance explanations.
- Preparation of cash flow forecasts and reports.
- Assists the CFO by leading annual operating and capital budgeting activities, collaborating with accounting staff, department managers and the hospital’s administrative team to ensure timely and fiscally responsible budgets.
- Collaborates with departmental managers regarding trends and ensuring adherence to established financial targets.
- Supports hospital audit activities – annual/interim financial audits, 403(b) plan, and other required audits.
- Leads the hospital’s payer reimbursement strategy and revenue cycle activities including negotiating payer contracts, reimbursement rates, contractual adjustments and collection activities.
- Supports the CFO by collaborating with external financial partners and leading the hospital’s cost reporting activities including Medicare, Medi-Cal and all analytical activities related to these reports.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate internal control structure to protect hospital assets and to ensure operational effectiveness.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Completion of special projects and other duties as assigned.