Purpose of the Job
The Finance Directors' position serves a critical role in the success of the organization overseeing financial management, reporting and analysis; accounting functions, budgeting, internal and audit controls, accounting procedures, and compliance. In addition, this position ensures sound and effective accounting procedures and processes as well as compiling, developing and disseminating financial statement. The incumbent directs finance and accounting staff, and oversees external audits for all country offices to be included in the consolidated organization's audit. This role is also responsible for the maintenance and update of system of accounting system(s) to ensure efficiency and accuracy of financial records within the guidelines of GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles), and internal policies and controls designed to mitigate risk. The incumbent will assist with an accounting system conversion to enhance the accuracy of the reported financial activities and financial reporting.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Oversight, Risk Assessment and Management, and Internal Controls * Serve as the financial expert for all the organization's finance and accounting needs, and oversee a complex financial system of multiple currencies and varying regulations of an international nonprofit.
- Manage, develop, and oversee performance of the accounting and finance teams in all country offices in the daily finance operations and accounting functions, ensuring consistent internal and audit controls, regulatory compliance with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements, required filings, and related challenges to ensure .
- Established policies and internal controls designed to mitigate risk. The incumbent is required to enhance the accuracy of the reported financial activities, and must possess substantial experience in developing, implementing, and auditing financial processes and procedures, internal controls and managerial accounting.
- Develop, update and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Manage and oversee all accounting and finance team in all accounting functions and daily operations to include general ledger, cost accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budget preparation and management, financial analyses and compliance.
- Lead the development and dissemination of accurate and informative financial reports and financial statement, internal & external audits, and maintaining an efficient system of financial records within the generally accepted accounting principles.
- Manage, prepare and report on cash flow analysis and cash position, directing needed fund transfers.
- Lead preparation for annual external and internal audits. Interact with auditors, manage field work and subsequent negotiations.
- Manage and lead preparation of tax filing requirements; federal and state registration/renewals.
- Analyze the impact for changes in accounting and federal regulations on the organizations.
- Ensures integrity of financial systems.
- Manage banking and vendor relationships.
Supervise, direct, and manage Finance and Accounting staff in the United States and oversee finance functions in all country offices.
Knowledge, Education, Experience, and Skills
- Licensed CPA (Certified Public Accountant) or certified CMA (Certified Management Accountant)
- Minimum 15 years' experience in managerial accounting and finance. Minimum 7 years of non-profit accounting/financial management.
- Knowledge of various accounting software, and experience in financial management.
- Previous audit experience preferred and highly regarded. Experience with Regulatory Compliance and Audit Standards.
- Experience with international program activities a must.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills, with 10 years of management experience. Ability to effectively manage diverse staff, remotely and on-sight.
- Outstanding people skills and excellent customer service
- Effective communication skills, written and verbal.
- Exposure to Coptic culture, and Arabic speaking a plus.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and presentation skills.
Typical office environment, limited to walking, sitting, typing, using computer and office equipment, etc. and occasional lifting of boxes and luggage.
Working Conditions and Environment (i.e., necessary travel, unusual work hours, etc.)
- Some potential international travel to field office and project sites.
- Some weekends and evening work will be required based on workload and deadlines.