Job Description and Qualifications
Do you enjoy working in a global corporate design environment? Are you looking to work within a fast-paced, forward-thinking organization? Are you looking to expand your skills as a Sr. Principal Civil Structural Engineer? Air Products, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Sr. Principal Civil Structural Engineer.
The Sr. Principal Civil Structural Engineer position is currently based at the Air Products Offices at the Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania or in the Houston, Texas office.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
We are seeking a talented Sr. Principal Civil Structural Engineer with experience in leading projects covering a wide range and sizes of industrial type applications; Air Separation Units (ASU), Hydrogen Processing Units, Process Gases & Gasification Units, LNG facilities, and Technology improvements. We provide support and liaison to global manufacturing facilities and construction sites. The position is within GEMTE Global Engineering Organization reporting to the Manager of Civil-Structural - Americas.
The role of the Sr. Principal Civil Structural Engineer is a key leadership role and being responsible for the daily coordination of CS Engineering & Design activities assigned to them. The Sr. Principle Civil Structural Engineer reports functionally to the Discipline Manager and operationally to one or more Project Engineering Managers. Input and leadership will be delivered in the conceptual design and strategies, basis of design and specifications, FEED, basic engineering & design, and detailed engineering & design. Post design and Construction liaison support are many times necessary.
Candidates will work in a multi-discipline office environment working with global teams. It is desirable to have FEED and EPC & EPCM experience. Responsible for performing or leading all aspects of CS basic engineering & design with leadership oversight for detailed engineering and design. Works under minimal supervision and may provide technical guidance to less experienced personnel.
Job responsibilities are focused on an individual contributor preparing engineering designs as well as leading small teams and coordinating workload between global regions. The candidate will be responsible for leading CS teams to execute conceptual (front-end engineering and design) and detailed (complete) CS design projects while interfacing with global teams. Tasks include preparing calculations and drawing packages for manufacturing shops & site construction, attending project meetings, estimating engineering and design hours, managing budgets, developing schedules, working with other disciplines, and supporting site construction. Domestic and international travel is anticipated.
The applicant must be well versed in wind and seismic analysis with an emphasis on moderate to high seismic classifications a plus. Typical process related structures include pipe racks & pipe supports, skids & modules, equipment supports, and access platforms.
Foundation designs will include interpretation of geotechnical recommendations for design of deep and shallow foundation systems, piling types, pile caps, soil-supported mats, containment systems, rotating machinery, and compressors. Dynamic analysis for compressor foundations is a plus.
- Support project bid phase: Participate in man-hour estimates, develop design strategies, collaborate with the project proposal team, and assist to estimate construction quantities.
- Review project scope: participate to develop basis of design criteria, develop execution strategies, and deliverable schedules.
- Basic Design Phase: complete conceptual basic calculations for foundations systems and site preparation drawings, check drawing deliverables, and support the conceptual layouts for steel structures.
- Detailed Design Phase: coordinate with global teams for the completion of the detailed design deliverables, participate in model reviews, ensure compliance with execution strategies, checking deliverables, and shop or field construction liaison.
- EPC Oversight: Assist to create & implement oversight strategies of EPC scope execution and deliverables.
- Attend project & group meetings.
- Can interface efficiently with other disciplines and project management.
- Support the creation and maintenance of work processes, engineering standards, guidelines, or best practices.
- Bachelor or Master's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering with proven leadership experience in Refinery / Petrochemical, Oil & Gas, or power industry
- PE licensed engineer
- 10+ years of engineering with concrete and steel structures, site drainage, and site development.
- 5+ years as a Lead Engineer, Team Lead, supervisor, or manager experience.
- Must be able to demonstrate leadership experience.
- Competent in STAAD pro.
- Proficient of industry accepted codes; IBC, ASCE 7, AISC Steel Construction Manual, AISC 341, AWS, and ACI 318
- Working knowledge of Smart 3D (S3D) software tool.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Multi-office project experience, including international/domestic project customers/locations.
- Takes personal responsibility for safety and a healthy environment on the projects and in the office.
Air Products offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
North America - Exempt
Global Engrg Mfg Technology & Equipment
Business Sector / Division