The Dog Training position is responsible for Dog Training brand consistency, delivering all program offerings and maintaining operational standards within the store. The Dog Trainer will be the primary resource and leader in their store regarding Petco’s Positive Dog Training program and consequently be accountable for consistent achievement of the store’s budgeted sales goals by driving sales, while educating and engaging all store partners.
As the Dog Trainer, you must follow Petco’s Positive Dog Training curriculums and methodologies. You must be committed to and show a genuine interest in enhancing communication and teamwork between dog and pet parent by offering positive solutions and rewarding success while providing a fun and safe environment for dogs, pet parents and store partners. Provide pet parents with exceptional Dog Training instruction and customer service by acting as a subject matter expert for Petco’s Positive Dog Training Program, products, services and in-store promotions, to our canine pet friends and their pet parents, helping them strengthen their bond through fun and educational training.
The incumbent must be able to consistently perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Must promote the positive training philosophies of the Petco Positive Dog Training Program and ensure a safe dog training environment for pet parents, customers, dogs and Petco partners.
- Must confidently perform all tasks & duties as outlined in the Dog Training Instructor Program.
- Promote, conduct and instruct all current Dog Training curricula.
- Consistently meet and exceed store’s budgeted sales.
- Be a Dog Training related resource for Dog Trainers in store to support consistent achievement of targeted goals and exhibit the ability to enlist the aid and support to accomplish common tasks.
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all pet parents and store partners regarding Dog Training or other pet services.
- Encompass excellent listening skills and able to effectively coach in an encouraging and motivating way by delivering points efficiently and easily. Ability to influence without authority.
- Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings and can command attention, establish clear directions and create a climate that motivates others.
- Cross-train store management and partners on how to promote Dog Training classes using the G.U.E.S.T.+ model by engaging pet parents and provide solutions to various training challenges, and the products needed to assist in solving those issues within established guidelines.
- Maintain provided class-related materials to consistently call back interested pet parents in a timely manner, promote Dog Training classes, seminars, workshops, Meet Your Trainer and/or Dog Training events sponsored by Petco.
- Utilize and maintain all Dog Trainer tools as defined in operational guidelines (such as calendars, flyers, business cards, local store marketing, build an event) with all partners as part of G.U.E.S.T.+ to drive the Dog Training business
- Form and maintain relationships with store management, store partners, grooming partners, 3rd party services vendors and local adoption partners and be familiar with Petco’s Think Adoption First philosophy.
- Be familiar with all new products and services in order to be able to engage with customers regarding their features and benefits. Upon hiring, must complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program and associated Petco onboarding within specified timeframe.
- Complete and maintain other MyLearningCenter courses as assigned.
- Consistently set, capture and record Dog Training class selling targets with all store partners and General Manager.
- Schedule a minimum of two new classes starting weekly (5 start dates a month on a weekend day), include two level two classes, two Canine Good Citizen classes and adhere to the national seminar dates and times. Add seminars and workshops on as-needed basis. The Dog Training calendar to be posted two months in advance and updated with any changes (in partnership with other Dog Trainers).
- Execute both national and local policies and procedures related to the delivery of Positive Dog Training classes with Petco pet parents, including operations, safety, and loss prevention measures.
- Knowledge of Dog Training class-related materials and tools available for store order through the Online Supply System and, in partnership with the Dog and Cat Department Manager, ensure all products are in stock and available in store at all times.
- Effectively employ suggestive enrollment techniques to consistently increase and drive Dog Training enrollments while meeting and exceeding budget.
- Maintain familiarity with current store promotions and special services.
- Maintain Dog Training area cleanliness and equipment per Operational guidelines and Policy and Procedures. This includes but is not limited to maintaining dog training barriers, dog training kiosk and associated signage.
- Must embrace and advocate the role of Dog Trainer in own store and local area to consistently represent Petco’s positive atmosphere and culture by positively communicating with dogs, dog parents, store partners and your community.
- Provide quick and courteous service to all Petco customers by determining their needs and sharing product knowledge to suggest the appropriate merchandise to satisfy them, and by effectively employing suggestive selling techniques to increase individual sales
- Complete cash register transactions as well as customer carry-out service consisting of merchandise weighing up to but not exceeding 50 pounds per trip
- Assist in the loading, unloading and stocking of merchandise according to established procedures in order to ensure that the store is well stocked and that inventory counts are accurate.
- Ensure that store animals, birds, reptiles and fish receive the highest quality care, are maintained in habitats that are clean, safe and secure and that all reasonable and required steps are taken to maintain their good health. Alert store management immediately if any animal, reptile, bird or fish is abused, in need of medical attention or other special care
- Perform routine housekeeping tasks as required to maintain the professional image and appearance of the store, to include sweeping/mopping the floors, dusting, washing the windows, facing the merchandise on the shelves.
- Assist store management in the opening/closing of the store as needed, to include the accurate completion of required paperwork.
- Participate in the completion of quarterly and annual physical inventory counts.
- Adhere to and promote established safety and loss prevention procedures.
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although merchandise stocking and customer carry-outs will require that an associate leave the store briefly. Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 50 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. The large majority of this partner’s time will be spent in direct contact with our customers and their dogs.
Education and Experience: * High school diploma or GED is generally preferred.
- CPDT-KA or Karen Pryor Academy (KPA-CTP) and/or Animal Behavior College (ABCDT) certifications
- Previous experience teaching positive reinforcement Dog Training techniques in group or class settings preferred
- Must successfully complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program upon hiring, within established timelines
- Possess basic computer skills with the ability to quickly research information from the Internet.