Incumbents in this position are responsible for greeting and registering patients, gathering appropriate demographic, insurance and billing information, assisting patients with billing and insurance needs, telephone and reception duties, managing a busy schedule, entering and placing accurate orders for imaging services to include the diagnosis for the exam(s), prepare patients for exams, and assisting technologists and radiologists in the completion of procedures and the radiologist needs relative to image interpretation and billing.
High school diploma or equivalent
LICENSURE and CERTIFICATION
American Heart Association Healthcare Provider CPR within 60 days of hire
- Basic knowledge of principles of CPT and ICD9 coding
- Understanding of Medicare billing requirements for diagnostic tests
- Understanding of need for waivers, and beneficiary notifications relative to diagnostic tests
Radiology department/ imaging experience preferred
Or Six months office or billing experience relative to above tasks preferred
KNOWLEDGE OF, SKILLS IN, ABILITY TO, COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULY:
Personal Computers, hardware and basic software programs including e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheets.
Computer systems relative to radiology services, PACS, Billing office services
Imaging compliance program Release of medical information and records
Regulatory requirements and standards governing Radiology and Mammography services
Radiology charge structure, ordering process, exam requirements and process for several modalities
Physician names and specialties
Basic principles of CPT and ICD9 coding Patient care equipment
Advanced oral and written communication skills
Basic typing and word processing
Analytical skills to solve simple to semi-complex problems
Organization, prioritization, and time management
Refer to policy manual for specific instructions/guidelines. Follow established policies and Procedures.
Adhere to the standards of the job description and overall philosophy of Bozeman Deaconess Hospital.
Maintain flexibility to adapt to a variety of workload assignments
Operate required office machines and patient care equipment
Concentrate and pay close attention to detail and work independently
Multi-task and handle interruptions or external, ambient noise
Maintain composure in a position that has demands on specific timelines, deadlines, customer contact, high volume, and busy phone reception environment.
COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULTY:
Work independently with a minimum of Supervision
Excellent working relationship with outside billing agency staff, physician office staff, and external customers.
Registration errors can result in incorrect identification of patient, guarantor and financial information resulting in loss of reimbursement as well as patient satisfaction issues
Charge (order) entry errors can result in loss of revenue, incorrect exam being performed, and patient satisfaction issues
Position requires high degree of integrity and confidentiality due to sensitive nature of information handled; failure to maintain patient confidentiality could result in legal action and patient satisfaction issues
Patient safety and radiation exposure issues can have significant consequences
Magnet safety issues can have significant, even grave consequences
- 20% Time Spent -
- Provides accurate admitting and registration functions for Imaging patients. Maintains proficiency with multiple billing and registration systems.
- 15% Time Spent -
- Provides pre-billing services including obtaining insurance and billing information, updating systems as appropriate, providing estimates of exam charges, educating patients on medically necessary waivers and other compliance documents and obtaining appropriate signatures, obtains pre-authorization for studies as needed, may review payment arrangements and directs to billing office staff as appropriate.
- Interfaces with billing office for expedient charge capture, compliance, and customer service for all Imaging patients.
- 15% Time Spent - Places orders for Imaging services. Ensures order appropriateness with documentation of signed order, pertinent diagnosis or reason for exam requiring an understanding of valid ICD-9 coding, adequate patient demographics.
- 10% Time Spent -
- Provides telephone reception for busy department and physicians.
- This includes greeting customers and providing assistance, providing assistance to referring physicians and staff with report retrieval, facilitating scheduling, ordering of exams, locating prior studies. Ensures busy schedule is maintained with on-time appointments, key open appointment slots are filled, confirming appointments, assisting with rescheduling appointments and providing immediate service recovery as needed.
- 10% Time Spent - Prepares patients for exam by education, exam specific paperwork, dressing, prep instructions, and communication with technologists. Escorts patient to physician office or further care for immediate referral needs, lab work, hospitalization, etc.
- ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Those job functions that may be performed periodically or more infrequently.
- Works with a variety of office equipment and department equipment.
- Troubleshoots problems and ensures adequate working order, maintenance scheduled as needed, stocking of supplies and patient items in office, waiting rooms, dressing rooms, exam rooms and in department.
- Provides minor equipment care and cleaning as needed.
- Assists with exam room turnover as requested, exam room cleaning, dressing room cleaning and preparation.
- Escorts patient to physician office or further care for immediate referral needs, lab work, hospitalization, etc.
Bozeman Deaconess Hospital