We encourage you to become a part of VyStar Credit Union's family of employees.
Vice President Mortgage Sales
This position oversees the mortgage sales functions within the Credit Union, which includes providing direction, leadership, and goal-setting for the member-facing mortgage sales force and partnering in the administration of the lending system and various delivery methods through which members apply for and obtain a mortgage with the Credit Union.
The incumbent must be member experience-focused, staying abreast of industry trends and opportunities, and leveraging this knowledge to recommend and implement new, improve existing, policies, procedures, products, and processes to ensure the Credit Union maintains its position as a market leader. Will further hire, develop, coach, and evaluate staff to ensure the team provides excellent member service while adhering to the Credit Union’s established policies, procedures, and processes as well as all relevant laws and regulations.
Must be familiar with standard mortgage products, including, but not limited to, Conforming and Jumbo fixed and ARM mortgages, VA, FHA, and USDA loans, Home Equity and HELOC loans, Construction loans, and Non-Owner Occupied and Condo lending. Must be knowledgeable about, and keep abreast of, all relevant mortgage laws and regulations. The incumbent will be responsible for the understanding of all applicable mortgage loan products and must be familiar with requirements including processing, quality control, and proper documentation and procedures for mortgage lending.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Guides and directs proper application of procedures and policies by staff to achieve quality service, improve productivity, maintain confidentiality and security controls, which will provide positive response to member’s requests for services. Reviews and approves or instructs staff in processing exceptional or extraordinary transactions or responding to members who request services outside of established policies and procedures. Receives and investigates complaints.
- Effective management of Sales Manager, Supervisors, MLO’s and HLA’s maximizing mortgage and home equity volume, production, and business development efforts.
- Develop proactive sales plans to maximize the growth and retention of all real estate product and service members. Manage sales processes and procedures for the MLO’s & HLA’s while ensuring an exceptional member experience is provided to all existing and potential members.
- Analyze and recommend resources and staffing changes, evaluate and assess direct reports, and promote initiatives to support the professional development of the team.
- Responsible for continuing education of MLO’s & HLA’s and rolling out Real Estate Lending initiatives.
- Manage the capabilities of the MLO’s, HLA’s and sales systems to ensure maximum cross-sell efforts are in place in a continued effort to create complete member relationships.
- Partner Relations: Establish collaborative partnerships with other lines of business, including Retail, Consumer, Business, Investments, Wealth and Commercial.
- Makes credit decisions as authorized. Reviews as necessary any mortgage loans for approval that may require an exception to policy. If appropriate, approves the decision to make an exception and reports it to the SVP, Real Estate Lending.
- Guides the Sales Manager(s) in defining expectations for Mortgage Loan Officers and Home Loan
- Responsible for staffing of the mortgage sales department. Ensures staff assigned to the department is properly trained. Monitors and evaluates employee performance. Counsels employees to enhance job performance and resolve work related problems. Initiates or reviews and approves written records documenting personnel actions.
- Develops, recommends and operates within budget for department. Monitors expense for cost efficient operation for department.
- Reviews and/or ensures proper completion, forwarding and/or retention of records.
- Works directly with the branches, call center or members to resolve issues. Must be a strong team player with a high level of professionalism and initiative.
- Monitors trends and provides updates to the SVP, Real Estate Lending on any emerging trends/issues/opportunities.
- Ensures all regulatory reporting is completed on or before the required deadlines. This includes annual HMDA reporting, as well as FHLMC and FNMA reports.
- Develops and administers training with Mortgage Sales as well as throughout the credit union as needed.
- Participates in preparation and presentation of home buying seminars.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Focus - Focus your full attention by carefully listening to and observing your client or member.
- Connect - Consistently be friendly and approachable. Demonstrate you care.
- Understand - Listen empathetically and ask questions. (70%/30%)
- Counsel - Recommend solutions based on your client’s or member’s needs and objectives.
- Advance - Ensure that member's expectations were exceeded.
Work progress is checked by the SVP, Real Estate Lending periodically through reports, discussion and consultation. In cases of difficulty or where exceptional problems arise, the incumbent consults the SVP, Real Estate Lending. This would include requests for changes in hours of operations, requests for services not defined in credit union policies and security concerns.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
The incumbent is expected to take independent action to ensure that satisfactory services are provided to members. Immediate decisions are routinely made for exceptional handling of members’ requests for services. Judgment is used to efficiently staff the mortgage loan department and for the procurement of equipment. Judgment is required in anticipating Mortgage Sales department requirements to develop the annual budget which includes staffing and salary levels as wells as facility and equipment needs. Judgments are made on loans within authority. The Vice President often determines handling of large or unusual transactions and must use discretion and judgment in advising member in financial matters.
EFFECT OF ERROR
Errors in judgment can have a significant impact to the Credit Union. Poor planning and use of resources could result in increased operating costs and deficiencies in member services, both actual and perceived.
Failure to properly train and educate staff could result in not only ineffective operations, but also in violation of regulations and could possibly subject the credit union to class action or individual lawsuit. In addition, it could impact employee morale and the ability to provide members with quality service.
Failure to handle or improper handling of staff grievances could result in claims of unfair labor practices and subject the credit union to time consuming investigations and expensive legal actions.
Errors would be difficult to detect in most instances and are likely to cause irreparable damage. Errors would cause damage to the professional image of VyStar as perceived by members, businesses and the community and could result in loss of deposits or income producing business if members are dissatisfied with services. Errors could subject VyStar to fines for non-compliance with regulations or secondary market. If errors were not corrected in a timely manner VyStar’s seller/servicer ID for secondary market transactions could be revoked, thus suspending all loan sales to FNMA/FHLMC and could result in substantial losses of revenues.
The incumbent has daily personal contact with members and with employees directly supervised. The Vice President Mortgage Sales is responsible to maintain harmonious relationships between the Mortgage Sales and other VyStar staff, members, vendors, service bureaus, officials, government agencies, servicing banks, and other businesses or persons which may have contact with the incumbent or the mortgage loan staff.
10+ years’ experience is required in the financial industry with at least five of those years specifically in a management position within the mortgage lending industry.
A Bachelors degree is the minimum requirement; experience leading a mortgage lending group may be substituted for a Bachelors degree at the rate of one academic year of education for two years of experience. Continuing education via local conferences and workshops is required for updates on federal regulations and secondary market requirements.
Machines used in the performance of this position include communications equipment, computers, and related security equipment. Familiarity with the operation of building equipment and machines operated by the department employees is considered beneficial in problem solving.
The employee must meet and maintain all the requirements as a registered mortgage loan originator employed by a federally regulated institution with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS). The employee must comply with all provisions of the Secure and Fair Enforcement of Mortgage Licensing Act of 2008 (S.A.F.E. Act) and credit union S.A.F.E. Act Procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, analytical and organizational skills combined with the ability to condense technical subject matter into clear and effective communications to the Chief Lending Officer
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to create, compose and edit written materials
- Demonstrate sound judgment and decision making
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate verbally and in written form.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities at one time.
Nothing in this position description is an implied contract for employment. The position description is intended to be an accurate account of the essential functions. The functions are not all encompassing and are subject to change at any time by management.
The work environment characteristics described are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
As required or requested, may exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Vystar Credit Union