Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Lead Process Systems Engineer.
The Process Systems Engineering Group provides engineering and commissioning support for new capital industrial gas plants that serve all industry including; Petrochemical, steel, electronics industries for example. Some example projects include hydrogen steam methane reformers, carbon monoxide plants, ammonia plants, and various large-scale supporting equipment installations like pipeline compressors, PSA Units and off-gas processing units. The Process Systems Team also support Large 800 - 2000 TPD) and Very Large Air Separation plants (2400 - 5000+ TPD) of varying complexity, both greenfield and brownfield installations. Projects typically have budgets exceeding 10 million USD with most exceeding 100 million USD. Mega projects in the Gasification space exceed 500 Million USD Detailed engineering support will be required, which could include supporting an in-house design team or supporting an outside engineering design firm. We are also asked to support our Operations Team as well as our after services team.
This open position will be part of North America Engineering Team as part of Process Engineering. The position will be in Stationed in our Houston Texas Engineering Office.
The primary responsibilities of the Process Systems Engineer are the following:
- Provide Technical project leadership coordinating the Process, Process Controls and Process Safety aspects of the overall project.
- Manage the projects P&ID's, functional logic tables, alarm and trip settings, critical safety tables and operating procedures/training manuals.
- Participate in the hazard review process and other safety evaluations (SIL and Fault Tree Experience a plus).
- Coordinate functional issues involving plant reliability, operability and maintenance, while providing technical liaison support to Global Operations.
- Manage and provide input into the plant design by reviewing the 3D piping model and overall facility arrangement (Plot Plan).
- Participate in the DCS (Distributed Control System) staging (SAT, Software Acceptance Test) and field validation.
- Participate and help plan field-commissioning activities including Operational Readiness Inspections (ORI), Plant Start-up and assist with the development and implementation of reliability test plans.
- Provide feedback and support to our product teams from actual project experience.
- Mentor and help train less experience Systems Engineers to improve our ability to move with speed and self-confidence.
BS ChE/ME with at 15+ years in new plant engineering or plant process engineering with a focus on plant operations/startups. * The applicant should possess a balanced multi-discipline understanding in process engineering, DCS/PLC controls (Process Controls knowledge), Process Safety and equipment/plant design.
- The applicant shall have the ability to make balanced decisions weighing operability, reliability, capital costs and operating costs.
- The applicant must communicate effectively and seek out technical expertise as required.
- Engineering experience in high temperature process gas plants and/or combustion processes is preferred.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
To learn more, visit
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
North America - Exempt
Global Engrg Mfg Technology & Equipment
Business Sector / Division