We are currently seeking a Medication Technician for our Kirkwood Orange community in Orange, CA.
The Medication Technician is responsible for documenting, delivering and administering medicines to residents as prescribed by physician(s) with superior customer service and in accordance with all policies, procedures, government regulators and guidelines.
Essential Job Duties
- Assist residents with their daily medications, treatments and resident care as assigned and with the scope of practice, policy and procedures, and government regulations. (40% of time.)
- Observe, verify and document that medication is ingested or applied as directed. (6% of time.)
- Notify supervisor if prescribed medication is not administered according to directions and documenting the reason(s) why. (5% of time.)
- Maintain clear, accurate, complete and confidential records on resident medication and care in accordance with established procedures and governing requirements. (6% of time.)
- Coordinate medication services with resident, pharmacy and physician(s) and verifying dosages with physician prior to dispensing. (5% of time.)
- Track all orders for medication changes and/or refills - prepare medications for distribution up to 24 hours in advance. (5% of time.)
- Participate in and complete narcotic counts at the beginning and end of shift, reporting any and all discrepancies to supervisor(s) immediately. (5% of time.)
- Assist caregivers in the performance of their job duties and assume caregiver activities and responsibilities when needed, including but not limited to: (13% of time.)
- Respond to resident needs promptly and kindly while maintaining each resident's self-respect, personal dignity, personal safety and confidentiality.
- Assist residents in their daily living activities including bathing, dressing, hygiene (including shaving, grooming, etc.), meals, activities, bowel and bladder functions (including restroom assistance/portable commodes/changing incontinency products, etc.)
- Provide assistance at mealtime with selecting meals, serving, clearing, delivering room trays as needed or assigned
- Transport residents as necessary assisting them into and out of bed, wheelchairs, etc., following all safety lifting and transferring techniques - escorting them to/from meals activities, or other transportation needs as requested or assigned
- Perform regular safety checks on residents and offer medication reminders
- Encourage residents to participate in daily activities such as bed making, laundry, cleaning, setting tables, etc.
- Clean, and assist with all other community activities and job duties as required or assigned
- Chart and document appropriate information (including incident reports) communicating any observed or suspected resident change of condition to a supervisor immediately
- Respond promptly to all resident alerts, carrying walkie-talkies and reacting to emergency or other resident requests as needed
- Ensure resident safety and comfort at all times, assisting in the performance of fire or other safety drills
- Perform other duties as consistent with the position and as assigned by the Director of Health Services and/or Executive Director, or other designee of the Executive Director as assigned. (15% of time.)
- Always displaying a positive and professional image through actions and dress and in accordance with the MBK core values
- Encourage teamwork through open communication with co-workers and other departments (100%)
- Display tact and friendliness when dealing with residents, families and guests (100%)
- Age 18 or over, or have the proper work permit and work authorization documentation
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Experience handling medications preferred but on the job training is available for candidates with the right attitude and desire.
- Background clearances as required by government regulations
- Complete a health screening and provide negative TB test results (must be within the last 6 months or within 7 days of employment).
- Must be able to read, write and speak English
- Ability to follow oral and written directions
- Ability to interact effectively with people of difference ages and backgrounds
- Must meet and maintain all state specific regulatory requirements
- Must maintain HIPAA compliance at all times
- Must be mobile and able to execute the physical demands of the position
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and push 40 pounds unassisted.
As an MBK community associate, you will enjoy the genuine spirit of caring and collaboration that makes each of our communities so well respected within their local neighborhood. In addition, you will become part of an ever increasing community of professionals who have the passion and dedication of building meaningful relationships with our residents and their families now and for years to come.
We offer a rich benefit package including; competitive salaries, 401k retirement plan with employer matching, comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, and paid time off.
If you are ready to meet the challenges of this critical role, we want to hear from you!
All associates prior to commencing employment and once employed must not be considered an “Excluded Party” as defined by the Medicare and state Medicaid Programs as well as other federal and state government contract programs. If as an associate you learn you are an Excluded Party, you must present your Excluded Party notice letter to your supervisor immediately. An Excluded Party is a person that the federal or state government found not eligible to provide care and services in a Community that receives Medicare or Medicaid funding. In addition, at all times, during your employment, all associates must be in compliance with certain laws and regulations that affect the company, including but not limited to Resident Rights, HIPAA, State licensing regulations, and those laws relating you an associates' professional license.
MBK Senior Living