Responsible for the accurate and timely reading and recording of water meters to facilitate customer billing; to identify water meter equipment problems; and to perform minor water meter and/or system maintenance.
- Walks 5 - 10 miles per day over established route, reading between 200 and 1200 meters per day and records volume used by residential and commercial customers.
- Determines consistency of meter readings; reports unusual cases to supervisor.
- Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage and unauthorized connections; ensures meters are registering properly.
- Indicates irregularities on forms for necessary action by servicing department.
- Documents customer interaction and field activities in CC&B.
- Turns off service for nonpayment of charges in vacant premises, or on for new occupants.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records.
- Acts as liaison between the customers and customer service personnel for problem/complaint resolution.
- Assists with maintaining mechanical, electrical and piping systems for area water/wastewater facilities, collections and distribution systems.
- Constant, independent travel daily between worksites on Company time.
- Must work On-Call in rotation as scheduled; responds to emergency situations as required.
- Performs minor meter maintenance and repair duties.
- Assists with repairs of water/wastewater treatment plant equipment.
- Assists with ordering parts and job costing.
- May assist with on-site customer communication.
- May assist with customer inquiries, requests and minor issues regarding meter reading schedule, billing, how meters are read and other customer service related matters.
- May prepare a variety of operational reports related to water meter reading activities.
- Assists with the installation and disconnect of water meters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required: MS Word; ability to learn internal software programs
Preferred: MS Excel, Outlook
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, vendors and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to learn to read a variety of water meters.
- Ability to learn and understand tariffs as they apply to assigned duties.
- Ability to learn the methods, techniques, tools, equipment and materials used in the minor repair and installation of water meters.
- Ability to read maps, electrical schematics, blueprints, etc.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to read and transfer digits accurately.
Required: HS diploma or GED
Required: Must maintain a valid driver's license.
*May be in the process of obtaining Distribution and/or Collections Systems certification or first-level plant operating license.
Some water meter reading experience preferred, in addition to previous mechanical or maintenance experience. Knowledge of cross connection regulations and ability to report violations and other unsafe conditions. General knowledge of water meters, care and operation of a variety of tools and equipment, and safe work practices is helpful.
Extreme physical demands, including lifting (75 lbs.), walking (10+ miles daily), climbing and mechanical repair. You will be expected to work in all weather conditions: rain, snow, extreme heat and cold, etc; you may encounter various potential hazards in the field.
Operates a Company issued motor vehicle, a variety of tools and equipment, including hand-held computers and hand tools; laptop, blackberry.
Within service area.
May include weekend scheduling; on-call duty, emergency response and paid overtime on a rotating basis may be required.
This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as desired.
Management maintains the right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Corix Group of Companies is an E-Verify participating employer.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth (or related medical condition), or any other characteristic protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.