Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an immediate opening for a Senior Subcontracts Manager.
Develop, negotiate, implement, and maintain competitively advantageous strategies, engineering, and construction contract services arrangement to enable world class execution for the construction of industrial gas plants. The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Construction area, with experience in developing and managing EPC, engineering and construction contracts. The incumbent must possess outstanding leadership and influencing skills, along with strong business acumen, and excellent organization and time management skills.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The High-Performance Global construction subcontracts sourcing team is primarily responsible for all strategic sourcing activities for engineering, construction & commissioning for new plants built by Air Products worldwide. As such, Sub-Contract managers are responsible for developing, negotiating, implementing, and maintaining competitively advantageous strategies and contract arrangements to improve Air Products' competitiveness and enable world-class projects execution.
This position is responsible for implementing new approaches and strategies to improve our product offering and project execution costs in Americas region. To effect this, the incumbent must develop an intimate knowledge of Air Products' offering and related technologies.
He/she will be expected to understand and challenge technical specifications, commercial practices, operating practices and business processes with a focus on driving cost reduction initiatives. He/she will understand and promote current best-in-class sourcing strategies and methodologies across the industry. Strong sourcing, organizational, written, and negotiating skills are required.
The candidate must possess both excellent analytical and leadership skills. He/she will need to have the knowledge, experience, and ability to employ the appropriate influence strategies with engineering teams, sourcing teams, and business stakeholders to meet established goals and objectives. Ability to effectively communicate technical and non-technical information, across cultures and organizations is a key success factor.
The individual will be expected to take ownership for preparing, executing, modifying, and leading commercial negotiations 3rd party engineering, commissioning & procurement services and construction contracts. Experience in developing, executing, and managing EPC contracts is required. Individual is expected to bring substantial expertise in managing risks and function independently as a primary commercial advisor for proposal and project execution teams.
The individual will be responsible for conducting sourcing events and managing contracts for his/her area of responsibility. He/she will have full knowledge of implementing The Air Products Way including all e-enabled technologies and experience in SAP contracting process is preferred.
The individual will also, on an as-needed basis, provide additional execution support with project execution or our operating plants and facilities around the world.
Travel will be required for this position both short & long business trips of 1 or 2 weeks periodically throughout the year. Overall travel is expected to be minimum 50%.
- Embody the 4S culture of Safety, Speed, Simplicity and Self-Confidence
- Work with Global Product teams (engineering, technology, commercial Product Management), supported business and functional organization to achieve goals.
- Develop strategies and lead the commercial contracting negotiations for hiring EPC, commissioning companies, engineering & construction subcontract categories aligning to project requirements.
- Identify and qualify new engineering firms & construction contractors meeting Air Products requirements
- Develop base intelligence strategies to ensure Air Products benefits from latest supply offering
- Bring innovative solutions to maximize value proposition for products and bid opportunities.
- Effectively utilize e-Sourcing tools (Scout / Qlickview) to launch inquiries and receive contractor quotations/proposals.
- Develop efficient bid tabulations and lead sourcing reviews with cross functional teams.
- Develop and negotiate framework engineering agreements to support Air Products competitive offering.
- Monitor, communicate, and respond to changing market conditions and business drivers to maximize leverage and minimize risk.
- Lead cross-functional teams involved in supplier discovery.
- Identify, develop and manage contractors; understand safety, commercial and capacity risks.
- Manage contractor relationships and maintain interface at senior level within contractors' organizations.
- Act as an escalation point for contractor interface for project execution issues when relevant
- Effectively participate in Continuous Improvement activities.
- Strong influencing, communication, and facilitative skills, including cross cultures and geographies,
- Ability to bring teams together to achieve targets and goals
- Ability to work cross functionally within Air Products
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (written and verbal) technical and non-technical information, internally and externally.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent negotiation and contracting skills.
- Strong understanding of macro-economic factors
- Financial and Business acumen
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent knowledge and proficiency with the Microsoft office suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, One Note) and collaborative tools.
- Good Knowledge of SAP and requisition to pay processes
- Bachelor of Engineering (preferably Mechanical / Civil) degree is plus. Master of Business Administration degree is a plus.
- Minimum 12 years of work experience in an industrial environment, working in EPC, engineering contracts and construction contracting.
- Thorough understanding of Air Products offering and markets.
- Thorough understanding of assigned categories and related market
- Thorough understanding and prior experience in contracts and contractual language.
- Excellent oral and written English proficiency is a must.
Air Products offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
North America - Exempt
Global Engrg Mfg Technology & Equipment
Business Sector / Division
Equip Sales Plant Support & Global Capital Procurement