This position manages, directs and coordinates the human resource policies and programs covering several of the following: labor relations, employee relations, wage and salary administration, orientation and training, safety and health, benefits and employee services. This position also manages the recruitment, development and retention of employees; EEO laws and general human resources concepts. The Senior HR Manager must take an active role in the community to develop partnership with critical resources and leaders who can provide support to the facility.
- Implement and manage on-going policies, programs, and procedures to foster understanding of and improvement in management, supervisory or employee relations.
- Manage situations involving policy or contract interpretation. Lead and mentor others to ensure consistent application of all work rules and policies. Develop and implement innovative solutions to personnel and/or labor/employee relations issues affecting the plant to mitigate any legal or compliance-related risks.
- Proactively build a relationship with local union leadership and drive the labor relations strategy at the facility.
- Maintain a positive labor/employee relations environment at the plant by counseling managers and employees on human resource policies and rules, identifying and resolving problems or recommending courses of action.
- Supervise human resource staff directly or through supervisors; plan, assign and review assignments; counsel staff; evaluate job performance and approve or recommend actions. Actively oversee the skill development of the team and work to build ongoing bench strength.
- Ensure administrative, management and production employee retention at the plant is maintained at an acceptable level.
- Use knowledge, experience, and continuous interpretation of plant dynamics to help understand and determine the training and educational needs of the production employees and salaried staff. Oversee effective implementation of performance management, talent management, succession planning and other corporate HRIS/Talent programs effectively.
- Manage all new employee recruitment, orientation, and training, either through primary function or through performance of subordinates.
- Manage the development and ongoing execution of the plant’s Affirmation Action plan to achieve AAP goals during entire employment process for all plant employees (recruitment, promotions, transition processes)
- Perform analysis and prepare statistical reports, narrative reports and communications for use in formulating goals and objectives.
- Manage employee benefit enrollments, questions, or inquiries.
- Fosters positive community relations through proactive outreach and partnerships with government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and educational institutions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+year’s related experience and/or training, required.
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- PHR/SPHR certification, preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership in the community and experience in actively engaging community leaders is required.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups in community or employees of organization.
- Strong reasoning and math skills.
- Knowledge of HR Systems such systems, SAP HRIS and Workforce time-keeping preferred; Internet software; Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, Word Processing and Power Point software; Payroll database software preferred.
- Possess functional knowledge of HR related policies, regulations and employment laws.
- Bi-lingual skills preferred: speak, read, write, address groups, individuals, conduct investigations, counseling, training, mentoring, using language other than English (as applicable to the business unit).
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Must be able to travel 5-10% of the time.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the HR staff at the plant.
- Carries out managerial/supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions; work near moving parts and vibration.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but could be loud if out in the manufacturing or production areas. The plant environment may include cold and wet conditions.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit