This Tax Senior Accountant position sits within the Non-Corporate Structure & Carry team of the Firm Tax Department. The Firm Tax Department is responsible for Carlyle internal tax matters, including, but not limited to tax compliance, tax reporting and planning.
The Tax Senior is responsible for providing senior level support to the Non-Corporate Structure & Carry team including tax compliance, carry income estimates, Tax Receivable Agreement (“TRA”) reporting, and process improvement initiatives.
This position will focus on the upper-tier entities (and carry interest reporting) related to the Carlyle-promoted investment funds within the Real Assets and the Global Credit business segments. Accordingly, this position is expected to work closely with the Real Assets and Global Credit Fund Tax teams. In addition to that, this position will work closely with the Firm's Tax Controllers and with other key stakeholders like Equity, Co-investment, and External Service Provider teams.
- Bachelor's degree, required
- Accounting, Finance or Economics Major, or equivalent relevant work experience in addition to Bachelor's Degree in another field, required
- CPA, preferred
- Minimum 3 years public accounting or private accounting experience, required
- Tax experience strongly preferred
- Partnership Tax experience a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office skills
- Strong Excel skills essential
- Self-Starter - however must be willing and able to ask questions and gather data from a variety of resources within the firm
- Detail oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills - both written and oral
- Respect confidential information and work effectively in a confidential environment
Upper Tier, Non-Corporate Tax Compliance:
- Review of Upper Tier, Non-Corporate entity federal/state/local workpapers, Schedule K-1s, tax returns, and foreign withholding documents (e.g., 1042-S, 8805) as prepared by external service providers to be provided to Internal Stakeholders
- Assist in review of investment roll-forwards and tax basis tracking prepared by the Tax Controllers team
- Work closely with the Real Assets and Global Credit Fund Tax teams, review the monthly ITR reports, and attend the quarterly tax transaction reviews meetings between the Fund Tax teams and middle-office tax advisors
- Assist in review of carry transactions in coordination with Fund Tax
- Prepare Upper Tier carry income allocations in coordination with Equity to be provided to external service providers
- Review of carry income allocations used in federal/state/local tax compliance
- Prepare 731(a) gain and after-tax clawback calculations for tax compliance and financial reporting
- Prepare and/or review the annual TRA workbook which includes the 743(b) step-ups and amortization, DTA and DTL, and estimated payment schedules to be provided to the Firm Reporting team for financial reporting
- Assist in preparation of annual TRA disclosures for Section 16 persons to be provided to Legal for financial reporting
- Prepare the annual calculation of TRA realized tax benefit/(detriment)
- Assist in review of annual TRA Schedules to be provided to former Private Unitholders
- Assist in review of non-US tax withholding calculations on TRA payments and timely remittance to tax authorities
- Assist in review of tax document reporting (e.g., 1042-S, 1099) for TRA payments to be provided to former Private Unitholders
- Assist with SOX documentation and testing related to TRA controls
- Assist in responding to inquiries from former Private Unitholders
- Assist in review of ITR reporting for Firm needs prepared by the Tax Controllers team
- Tax support for other projects, as assigned, such as tax research, consistency documentation, etc.
The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) is a global investment firm with $223 billion of assets under management across 362 investment vehicles as of June 30, 2019. Founded in 1987 in Washington, DC, Carlyle has grown into one of the world's largest and most successful investment firms, with more than 1,775 professionals operating in 33 offices in North America, South America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Australia. Carlyle's purpose is to invest wisely and create value on behalf of its investors, which range from public and private pension funds to wealthy individuals and families to sovereign wealth funds, unions and corporations. Carlyle invests across four segments - Corporate Private Equity, Real Assets, Global Credit and Investment Solutions - and has expertise in various industries, including: aerospace, defense & government services, consumer & retail, energy, financial services, healthcare, industrial, real estate, technology & business services, telecommunications & media and transportation.