The Charge LVN in the skilled setting - will oversee comprehensive nursing care, skills, and knowledge of skilled/long-term care resident’s physical and psychosocial needs. Assume responsibility and accountability for the coordination of patient care in collaboration with members of the medical staff and all members of the health care team.
Prior experience and education in gerontology and chronic illness with ability to apply basic principles of nursing care and manage computerized documentation
Previous Skilled Care experience preferred
California Licensed Vocational Nursing License; current, active and in good standing
Current BLS certificate
- Provides nursing care utilizing all components of the nursing process within scope of practice: Including: follow up on assessments, care plan, intervention, and documentation – including weekly summaries as indicated for skilled care.
- Proficiently uses critical thinking skills and evidenced based practice in the nursing process in delivering care to patients based on their functional and developmental age; identifying actual and potential risk.
- Demonstrates proper use of all equipment utilized in the nursing units assigned; how to access contracted medication management system and provide medication safety and error reporting in a competent manner; how to conduct beginning and end-of-shift narcotic count and security as indicated.
- Based on information obtained from the nursing assessment, provides a concise problem focused report to the provider as indicated and ensures continuity of care by processing and follow through on provider orders and treatment plan in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate competency in discharge planning and transfer process – internal and external.
- Demonstrates competency in the process of medication preparations, administration, documentation, reorders, error reporting and audits as indicated, including daily assessment of residents on psychotropic medications as appropriate.
- Demonstrates competency in the process of treatments, follow up labs, positive cultures, diagnostic imaging, monitoring system, nurse call system, organ donation and release of remains.
- Demonstrates proficiency navigating through Orchard Hospital Health Information Systems (HIS) including Chart Access, Point Click Care, LabDaq, Radiology Information System, ELearning, and Orchard Hospital Policies and Procedures - entering and noting orders, obtaining diagnostic test results, accessing information from previous hospital visits and locating policy and procedures.
- Demonstrates effective communication with members of the health care team to achieve desired outcomes; attends and participates in all required in-service training and mandatory meetings (75% staff meetings) per policy.
- Charge Nurse specific ability to direct activities on the assigned unit and in the event of an emergency, supervising nursing care provided by team members and hold staff accountable for responsibilities within position descriptions – in accordance with RN; regularly round with patients on assigned shift and unit – review care provided with direct observation and document review; assure point of care testing (POCT) quality, acuity and classification, restraint and all other log/record keeping.