Northrop Grumman Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
NG Space Systems – Propulsion Division is currently seeking a Principal Structural Engineer (Fracture Analysis) for our Science & Engineering team supporting several locations within the Space Systems but home location would be the Promontory (Brigham), UT facility.
Role description & Responsibilities:
Analyzes, researches and develops fracture mechanics engineering specifications involving metals, non-metallic or composite structural materials for product design, or operation of product to include structures, mechanical, equipment and maintenance designs. Analyzes fracture mechanics, damage tolerance, durability, design allowable and structural modeling. Specific structural/fracture engineering specialties may include dynamics and loads, stability, and stress fatigue. Tools utilized may include NASGRO (crack growth analysis code) or equivalent, NX, ANSYS/ABAQUS and a variety of software applications.
Specific roles and responsibilities will include:
- Assess the structural/fracture integrity of rocket propulsion systems and related components using traditional closed form methods as well as finite element techniques
- Plan and oversee fracture characterization testing of various materials used in the design of rockets
- Reduce fracture characterization test data into analysis input properties and material capability properties
- Prepare reports and memos documenting fracture assessment activities and results
- Prepare and make presentations summarizing fracture assessment results for internal review boards and external customers
- Perform assessment and develop disposition of discrepant hardware and hardware anomalies
- Interact with design and development teams (teams include specialists in Design, Quality, Safety, Thermal, Materials, Operations) to support innovative and creative design solutions that meet rocket motor requirements (technical, cost, schedule)
Familiarity of design and modeling software (NX)
Strong and demonstrated communication, planning, project management and presentation skills
Strong knowledge of fracture/crack growth codes, and associated structural analysis software and their application
Education & Experience Requirements:
3 years with MS or PhD Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering with emphasis in fracture mechanics and analysis, and solid mechanics or finite element theory
Research/course work in composite structures is a plus
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.