H0458P HR Generalist IV
Harvard Human Resources
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Additional Qualifications and Skills
- Solid business acumen; understands the business that they are working within
- Knowledge of the organization/institution (Harvard) as well as local units
- Labor relations experience with service and/or trade unions
- Ability to engage, inspire and influence people
- Effective team player
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
- Ability to develop clear, actionable steps in support of an overall business strategy
- Ability to develop and deliver relevant, effective training programs to targeted audiences
- Significant knowledge of HR policies and process (ex. Workforce planning and talent management)
Harvard Human Resources is committed to enabling Harvard's world changing mission through inclusive excellence in Human Resources practices. We welcome applicants who bring varied experiences, backgrounds, and expertise to advance the work of the department in service to Harvard's mission.
This is a full-time Exempt position. Typical business hours are Monday through Friday, 35 hours per week.
Responsible for comprehensive human resources consulting services for a unit(s) or department(s). Provide leadership in change processes to create a culture of productivity and engagement.
Typical Core Duties
- Provide technical guidance, consulting, and problem resolution for human resources related issues
- Consult with managers and employees on employee relations issues
- Coach managers or arrange coaching in performance management, employee relations, retention and career development
- Advise, interpret, communicate, and participate in the development of HR policies, practices, and processes
- Collaborate with managers to identify issues and enhance organizational design, development or training needs
- Manage salary administration for new hires, reclassifications, reorganizations, and special projects
- Manage compensation activities including conducting equity reviews of all staff; ensure that any contractual increases are implemented accurately and on-time
- Manage and implement the annual merit increase and bonus process
- Provide training to clients/staff
- May Function as subject matter expert or project lead
- May provide recruitment services for hiring managers and departments in collaboration with recruiters
- May collaborate with a centralized HR function to provide service
- Ensure compliance with University Human Resources policies, procedures, and requirements and applicable legal regulations
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
- Minimum of 7 years' relevant HR experience
- Work is performed in an office setting
Campus Services is a diverse set of 12+ business units employing 1800+ professional, administrative, and unionized staff who provide services to the University community. Services include (but are not limited to) dining, transportation, utilities, building maintenance, housing, sustainability, and environmental health and safety.
The Senior HR Consultant is part of the Campus Services human resources team engaged in partnering with the Campus Services departments, and employees to deliver high-quality HR programs and services. We strive to create a collaborative and inclusive work environment that contributes to the Campus Services community and supports the University's mission of teaching and research.
- Actively partners with managers, staff and bargaining unit representatives to address a variety of workplace issues in a strategic way that provides tangible value to the unit.
- Partners with business unit managers to address simple to complex employee relations issues for exempt and unionized non-exempt staff
- Partners with business unit managers, union business agents and the Office of Labor and Employee Relations to respond to and/or resolve grievances
- Serve as a Step 2 Hearing Officer for one or more Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Partners with the University's Office of Labor and Employee Relations to ensure business units are in compliance with relevant collective bargaining agreement(s)
- Liaises with the Office of General Counsel and external counsel on complex labor and employee relations matters
- Partners with unit's recruiters to ensure regulatory and University policies are being followed regarding compensation, compliant recruiting, etc.
- Demonstrates solid understanding of the operations of the client units as well as the needs and challenges of managers and staff.
- Contributes to the business strategy by helping business leaders to identify, prioritize, and build organizational capabilities
- Supports managers in forecasting and planning their talent pipeline requirements in line with their department strategy
- Maintains current knowledge of progressive HR practices and key trends
- Effectively implements the delivery of HR programs initiated by HHR
- Understands need and how to utilize HR Analytics and other relevant data to help line leaders make informed decisions
- Participates in team meetings and other projects as assigned