Responsible for arranging training for individuals or groups within a framework of available programs. Advises employees and management on appropriate training courses. Arranges local training courses and in-house courses, and coordinates arrangements for external courses and seminars. Makes arrangements for further education and monitors the progress of attendees. Maintains accurate training records, monitors costs, and budget control of all training activities.
- Train new and existing employees on job-specific topics and procedures. Includes, but not limited to: PSM, EMS, Food Safety, Safety Programs, Quality Assurance, Hog Handling, MSDS and Hazardous Materials.
- Orientation of new employees – Conduct new employee orientation covering company benefits, policies, rules, regulations, food safety guidelines, EH&S awareness programs.
- Drives consistent training delivery by developing plant training resources with approved methods, skills and techniques.
- Administers maintenance CMM program by monitoring participation, training progress and maintaining training records.
- Community Relations – Attend cultural diversity meetings; promote awareness of Smithfield’s commitment to the community, attend community events, participate with local schools on special programs, serve on various boards in order to integrate Smithfield’s diverse population in community events, partner with USDA as well as university extension offices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 2+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Excel, Word and Power Point software and ability to research the internet.
- Certified Pallet Jack and Forklift Trainer Certification.
- Lock Out/Tag Out Certification (for machines and locks).
- Fire Safety/Extinguisher Certification.
- Bi-lingual a plus.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
- Regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit