TABITHA’S PURPOSE: We empower people to live joyfully, age gratefully.
Each Personal Care Attendant enhances the living experience for Tabitha’s Seniors/residents/clients (hereinafter, “Seniors/clients”) by performing various care activities and related services as described and in compliance with the comprehensive care plan/service plan objectives. While doing so they will contribute to the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being of Seniors/clients through respectful, professional, competent and personable interaction. This TEAMember strives to uphold Tabitha’s LIVE2Care Culture and actively embraces Tabitha’s Core Values. By doing so, the TEAMember supports Tabitha goals related to the dignity, respect, independence, competence, autonomy, personal comfort, safety and security of Seniors/clients. In addition, the TEAMember contributes to the success of Tabitha through ongoing collaboration with family members, TEAMembers, management, volunteers and others in the organization.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: * Follows through with tasks on the Plan of Care (POC) for each individual Senior/client.
- Assists with orientation of new TEAMembers.
- Weekly changes bedding when bed is empty at the direction of supervisor.
- Implements activities for the Seniors/clients.
- Assists with serving meals to the Seniors/clients.
- Processes Senior/client laundry.
- Assists with light housekeeping as directed.
- Provides assistance with passing water pitcher, stocking supplies, answering call lights, pass, set up, and pick up meal trays, transport Seniors/clients.
- Assists Seniors/clients with connecting with families through video calls, phone calls, etc.
- Provides 1:1 social visits to Seniors/clients.
- Assists in completing menus for Seniors/clients.
- Offers snack cart to seniors/clients.
- Prioritizes assignments to complete care for Seniors/clients in allotted time making adjustments throughout shift to meet frequently changing/overlapping Senior/client/caregiver/TEAMember/manager needs, call lights, when necessary. Utilizes strength, agility and stamina to carry out all essential functions safely and effectively. Willingly takes on additional duties during times of peak workload or Senior/client requests.
- Uses strength, agility, stamina and prioritization skills to respond promptly to frequent and often overlapping Senior/client/caregiver/TEAMember/manager needs and requests, responds to calls, reports abnormal findings or any complaints promptly to appropriate party.
- Complies with HIPAA regulations regarding privacy by insuring that Protected Health Information (PHI) is safeguarded at all times. In addition, maintains a high level of confidentiality regarding any matter pertaining to any Tabitha Seniors/clients.
- Consistently uses strength, agility and good body mechanics when performing essential functions, follows appropriate safety and infection control policies and procedures of Tabitha and/or community and regulatory agencies.
- Assures reports of all broken and malfunctioning equipment are made in a timely manner.
- Follows disaster plans and uses strength and agility during participation in preparedness drills and actual emergencies. Maintains a safe work environment.
- Completes required training and in-services promptly. Demonstrates understanding of the course content and implements training in daily activities.
- Participates in competency training/testing when required by policy or other business need of Tabitha.
- Considers all factors and takes appropriate action, making good decisions that contribute to the welfare of the Seniors/clients.
- Performs work duties within the assigned work environment related to the position, as assigned by Tabitha, regardless of TEAMember preference.
- Communicates any change in physical, mental or psychosocial status of Senior/client to the appropriate party.
- Maintains courteous relationship with supervisors, TEAMembers, Seniors/clients, family members, loved ones, TEAMembers of other departments and volunteers, providing support and assistance to TEAMembers to ensure quality Senior/client care. Volunteers to assist others, seeks opportunities to serve Seniors/clients/loved ones/coworkers/Tabitha.
- Participates in meetings and in-services on both department and company levels.
- Maintains a good record of attendance and punctuality as defined by Tabitha’s policy pertaining to attendance and punctuality. Records all time worked accurately and consistently using the timekeeping method provided by Tabitha.
- Complies with Tabitha policies and procedures as published by Tabitha and which may be modified from time to time. Contributes to quality assurance and performance improvement activities by identifying instances of non-compliance and taking appropriate action, including reporting violations of Tabitha policy or regulations as appropriate.
- Acts with integrity and in the best interest of Tabitha. Business relationships are conducted in the best interest of Tabitha, free of gifts, cash inducements, gratuities, favors, or other perceived improper inducements.
- Willingly takes on additional duties and/or assignments, assisting with projects and responding to requests as assigned or as necessary.
As a member of the Tabitha team, I will…
…extend unwavering Christian compassion
…build relationships rooted in love, because love matters
…identify, clarify and anticipate needs to exceed expectations
…create an atmosphere of teamwork
…nurture an environment of innovation and growth
…demonstrate confidence, boldness and determination
…devote our time, talent and treasures
…recognize and encourage all accomplishments big and small
COMMUNICATION: Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the English language including medical terminology related to the job. Sufficient fluency to be able to understand and follow written or verbal instructions, provide instruction to others, read and understand a care plan/service plan, policies, procedures or other similar documentation, interact successfully with elder/clients/caregivers, hold a conversation, conduct or participate in meetings, compose professional e-mails or other written communication, prepare legible, accurate and thorough documentation as required by the job and interact with coworkers, customers, vendors, volunteers, managers and family members effectively. Ability to recognize and interpret non-verbal cues. Ability to respond calmly and clearly to emergencies and emotional situations.
WORKSITE CONDITIONS: Works indoors in a facility maintained by Tabitha that will typically be in good repair, clean, well ventilated and well lit. Frequent exposure to heat/steam (in bath facility), dust, disinfectants, infectious waste, communicable diseases, bodily fluids, blood borne pathogens, cleaning products, personal care products. Frequent exposure to noise from call lights and walkie talkies. Frequent interruptions and changes in priorities based on needs of Seniors/clients. Occasional exposure to hazardous chemicals. Occasional exposure to outdoors and the resulting extremes in temperature and exposure to sun, rain, heat, cold, wind, allergens. Frequent interaction with Seniors/clients, TEAMembers, visitors, representatives of government agencies, etc. under all conditions and circumstances. This will include exposure to Senior/clients, family members and TEAMembers who may experience extremes in emotions. Seniors/clients, in particular, may become agitated or combative. Works beyond normal scheduled hours and on weekends and holidays when assigned. Is subject to extended hours or callback during emergency conditions or based upon needs of the organization.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to gain access to the work area and then safely perform the duties of the job while utilizing standard and specialized equipment, including but not limited to the equipment described below. Physical stamina with the ability to perform duties while moving about the work area for the entire shift with few opportunities to sit down and with little or no break between tasks. Strength and agility sufficient to frequently and continuously lift, push, pull, reach, squat, kneel, bend, carry, twist, pinch, grasp, climb stairs while performing duties. Ability to remain calm and work effectively when others (such as Seniors/clients, TEAMembers or family members) experience emotional extremes, up to and including Seniors/clients who become combative. Vision and hearing within normal limits (with or without correction). Must have unrestricted lift/push/pull ability and pass a 25 - pound physical exam demonstrating strength and agility prior to employment and at Tabitha’s discretion.
EQUIPMENT USAGE: Standard and specialized equipment including but not limited to wheelchairs, braces, humidifier, fan, telephone, computer, electronic devices, and photocopier.
AGE REQUIREMENT: At least age 16.
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or equivalent preferred.
EXPERIENCE: 6 months experience as a caregiver preferred.
CREDENTIALS: Prep/Cook Level Food Handler Permit required for Tabitha campuses in Lancaster County.
STATEMENT OF EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
Tabitha Health Care Services is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, creed, gender, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all employment practices and decisions including recruitment, selection, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, and the termination of employment.
Furthermore, Tabitha Health Care Services will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship, safety, and/or health risk. Please contact Tabitha Health Care Services Human Resources Department to request an accommodation.
As a government contractor, the organization has adopted written Affirmative Action Plans for women and minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. These plans will be revised on an annual basis. Tabitha Health Care Services is committed to making a good-faith effort toward achieving the objectives of the Plans. Any employee who would like to review the Plans may do so by scheduling an appointment with the Human Resources Department during normal business hours.