Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an immediate opening for a Turbo Machinery Technology Lead in Houston, TX.
The position is to lead the strategic machinery development initiatives within the Machinery Center of Excellence and Technology organizations. The position is to support technology's mission to improve the competitiveness of Air Products' global product line offerings within Air Separation, Process Gases, Gasification and Standard Plants.
The role provides strategic direction primarily aimed at lowering the cost or improving performance of rotating equipment including compression, expansion, drivers, and the associated equipment, e.g. gearing, seal, lube/oil, cooling, steam system, filtration, and other areas associated with turbo-compression systems. The incumbent of this position is expected to identify, review, and provide development plans for novel or step-out equipment and systems around the machinery content of plants that are used with Air Products.
The role will be closely aligned with the Air Products Product Lines, Engineering and Operations teams. The role may overlap some work areas currently being performed by those functions, but the thrust of the role will be to develop step change configurations & equipment in the fore-front in order to improve AP product line competitiveness. The key to success of this role is through partnering and collaboration with stakeholders and relevant personnel in different organizations, Technology, Product Lines, Engineering, and Operations.
This position is an individual contributor role with extensive interaction with Air Products global Product Lines and Technology teams (Air Separation, Standard Plants, Process Gases and Gasification.
This main accountabilities for this global position are:
- Provide strategic guidance to product lines and technology teams on new or emerging machinery equipment development opportunities. Prioritize focused initiatives and alignment between these teams and the Machinery Center of Excellence (CoE) strategic plans.
- Establish close cooperation and collaboration with the product lines to understand their global strategic objectives.
- Manage new development and innovative solutions through the ODI process stages and through commercialization for machinery and process cycle applications.
- Lead and coordinate development efforts relevant to machinery technologies:
- Provide consultation on market, commercial, and conceptualization of potential offerings (technologies, equipment, cycles, etc).
- Provide strategic vision to machinery COE and AP product lines regarding machinery and process cycle optimizations, product deficiencies, and commercial/market opportunities.
- Identify and lead strategic collaboration plans with existing key and new technology machinery suppliers to best fit Air Products process needs and industrial growth.
- Trac and stay abreast of technical advancements and potential new suppliers in turbo-compression industry, as relevant to Air Product businesses. Maintain close working relationships with key technology personnel of machinery suppliers:
- Understand novel/emerging technologies & technical trends in machinery scope.
- Facilitate machinery-related decision making in product line and technology organizations though close communication/collaboration with the decision makers.
- From technical perspective, monitor competitive landscape/patent literature within the machinery industry: potential alternative/new suppliers.
- Influence supplier development programs for Air Products business interest.
- Introduce relevant novel/step-out technologies, as well as new configurations or systems from vendors to improve AP's product line competitiveness (cost/efficiency/reliability):
- Collaborate closely with stake holders and partners in technology, product lines, engineering, and operations to identify these opportunities, from project initiation through first implementation.
- Initiate, as necessary, and act as technology representative through ODI process to push through AP internal review/approval process for commercialization of new technologies.
- Following technology commercialization, remain involved as representative of technology organization through first implementation of the new technologies.
- For the new technology projects initiated by other organizations, this role is expected to work with the related organization/people to understand, consult, and provide feedback on those projects, and evaluate their applicability in other products/businesses.
- Act as technology representative in new supplier qualification process, if significant technical risks are identified and technology support is needed.
- Innovate & drive technical changes in machinery CoE to improve product competitiveness of Air Products offerings. Collaborate with other technical engineering functions such as process and controls to identify, evaluate, and implement novel or step-out machinery configurations
- Review and input for Patent portfolio issues as they relate to machinery, when needed.
- Master's degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or similar field.
- 15 + years of experience in rotating machinery design and development.
- Demonstrated experience as a strategic change agent (strategic mindset) with a continuous improvement focus.
- Demonstrated experience developing strategic plans for new product development with emphasis on differentiating technologies or emerging market segments.
- R&D or new product development experience including stage gate process background required.
- Developed patents and published new technical concept papers and presentations.
- Active member in turbo-machinery industry forums and/or committees.
- Strong communication skills and a proven influential leader. Ability to work in a cross-functional organization with corporate and regional/local teams.
- Strong technical knowledge and analytical skills around:
- Thermodynamics of compression and pumping systems
- Aerodynamics of turbo-centrifugal compression
- Reciprocating Compression Design
- Rotor Dynamics
- Operational Issues around rotating equipment
- Shell and Tube Cooler design
- Control systems as they pertain to rotating equipment
- Gas Turbine Design
Air Products offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid holidays/vacation, affordable medical, dental, life insurance and retirement plans.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
North America - Exempt
Global Engrg Mfg Technology & Equipment
Business Sector / Division