PURPOSE STATEMENT: To receive, cut, and stock merchandise and build displays so customers will have merchandise they want to purchase.
SIGNIFICANT JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: * To greet all customers, respond to customer questions/requests and explain store policies in a courteous manner.
- To prepare the back room for receipt of merchandise, unload trucks and sort cases according to aisle or pallet for stocking.
- To clean store floors, check-lanes, carts, restrooms, parking lot and shelves. Safely use cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- To load stocking carts/pallets, transport cases to sales floor either on stocking carts or pallets, match the case strip to the shelf tag/stock, place merchandise in the designated shelf/display position/area and "face/front" the front row of each display.
- To assure the safety of self, customers and co-workers by understanding and practicing store safety rules and notifying a supervisor of any potential hazard immediately. Pick up/remove all broken containers, packing materials/boxes from the sales floor or customers’ pathway immediately.
- To perform miscellaneous tasks assigned by supervisors and mangers, substituting for absent workers and performing any additional tasks necessary to provide products and services to customers during peak periods of business.
- To understand the operation, safety requirements and restraints of a baler, case cutter, pallet jack and fork lift (must be 18 years or older to operate the pallet jack, forklift and baler).
- To count and record individual items of merchandise for inventory.
- To manually price mark/label merchandise without an UPC code.
- To move damaged/unsalable and "returnable" products from shelves to the backroom, sorting the materials into bins or for return to the damage reclaim center.
- To use the proper case opening and product stacking techniques to prevent damage to product.
- To remove trash from the aisle, operating the baler, put the compacted bale on a pallet and load salvage on to trucks.
- To change signs, light bulbs, tags and price markers on the shelf display.
- To assist cashier's by bagging/carry out when necessary.
Able to cut and stock cases per hour (dry grocery).
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Grocery stocker's report directly to the Grocery Manager or Store Manager.
REQUIRED: * Basic mathematical ability (add, subtract, multiply, divide) and ability to count.
- Able to give/receive complex verbal instructions/descriptions to/from supervisors/co-workers concerning store/department policy/procedures and use of equipment.
- Able to pass basic physical examination and drug screen.
- A stable work and educational history.
- The ability to read and write English. Able to read instructions, merchandise labels, warehouse order codes, numbers, printed paper and forms.
- Make judgments concerning the placement of merchandise on the shelf/display (spatial relationship), ordering of merchandise, case opening procedures and extent of unsalable product damage.
- Able to open cases and stock so products will not be damaged.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Prior experience in a related type of job.
- Prior experience operating a baler, case cutter, cleaning/sanitation equipment, pallet jack and fork lift. (Must be 18 years or older to operate pallet jacks, baler, and forklift.)
- To move cases from truck/pallet to backroom/to sales floor for stocking, approximately 75 yards.
- To move cardboard/packing material to the backroom, approximately 75 yards.
- To move excess cases/damaged product from the sales floor to overhead storage or backroom storage, approximately 75 yards.
- To backroom of store for supplies/product/maintenance equipment and return, approximately 75 yards.
- Work on tile or concrete for a maximum of 4 hours in duration.
- Move and stack empty pallets from floor to 84 inches overhead.
- Move a maximum of 100 lbs. from 6 inches to 48 inches.
- Move a maximum of 75 lbs. from 6 inches to 84 inches on to overhead/backroom storage rack.
- Move cardboard into baler, approximately 4 feet. (Must be 18 years or older to move cardboard into baler.)
- Carry a maximum of 100 lbs. up to 15 feet.
- Pick up/move/sort/open/"face/front" (a/an) case/item/trash/from floor/shelf/ground/pallet/rack storage.
- Use maintenance and product transportation equipment.
- Attain merchandise/cases on the top of grocery overhead/backroom storage shelves/rack, up to 84 inches from the floor.
- Attain merchandise on stocking cart or pallets.
- Clean shelves/floor area or control maintenance/stocking equipment.
- Place cases/items on shelving/displays.
- Place signs, banners and light bulbs in place.
- Handle labels/signs/tags.
- Handle case cutter/utility knife.
- Grasp and handle wet/cold/hot/crushable/metal/paper/plastic store products.
- Handle cardboard/packaging and debris.
- Manipulate maintenance equipment handles/grasps/knobs.
- Operate cash register keys.
- Handle cash and coins.
- Move while cleaning, cutting/opening, sorting, stocking, load/unloading, moving/removing merchandise, stocking merchandise and work area.
- Move stocking carts, pallet jacks (up to 1000 lbs.) and maintenance equipment approximately 75 yards.
- Move to the top of ladders, cases, shelving and stairs up to 15 feet in height.
- Balance on cases of product and overhead rack.
- Stock shelves 8 inches from the floor to 36 inches in height.
- Pick up cardboard, packaging and debris from floor.
- Perform maintenance and sanitation functions.
- Recognize cases, case cutter edge, case strips, shelf location, product size/description, customers, shelf tags, labels on products, stocking carts, packaging materials, debris on floor, aisle markers, and signs.
- Perceive color difference on product labels.
- Recognize cleaning/maintenance equipment, pallet jacks, forklifts and baler controls.
- Respond to customer questions and responses.
- Respond to intercom.
- Respond to co-workers questions.
- Respond to vendor/driver questions/comments.
- Recognize the sound of baler/pallet jack/fork lift cleaning equipment operation.
- Recognize the sound of box cutter operation.
- Communicate with customers (respond to customers, greeting, and thank you).
- Communicate with vendors/drivers.
- Use the intercom system.
- Communicate with co-workers.
- Read case labels/strips, signs, tags, shelf signs, numbers and aisle markers.
- Read equipment and chemical warning labels.
Inside work with extreme variations in temperature, dust, humidity from back door/compressors/cooler/freezer.
SAFETY: * The employee will not use drugs or alcohol on the job.
- The employee will not create a direct threat to the health and safety of others on the job.