We're inspired and heartened by the tremendous public health response to COVID-19, and recognize that a similar scale of effort is needed by the biotech community to find long-term solutions to this crisis. Therefore, we're building increased Foundry capacity to support high rates of testing frequency for our clients, offering an end-to-end, onsite testing service designed to test large communities of individuals. Performed at high-scale and high-throughput, this additional testing capacity will be essential for organizations, institutions, and companies to be able to reconvene their teams and reopen their communities.
To aid in these efforts, we're seeking several dedicated Technical Operations Leads to help manage our high-complexity CLIA laboratory and lead our operational staff to success. With your molecular biology expertise, strong technical knowledge, and excellent leadership ability, you'll provide day-to-day oversight over one of the core areas of our clinical operations:
- Pre-NGS: Serve as the primary liaison between the Operations Teams for Concentric and Ginkgo to ensure operational excellence with the pre-Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) components of our highly automated testing workflow (including sample intake, RNA extraction, and RT-PCR).
- NGS: Serve as the primary liaison between the Operations Teams for Concentric and Ginkgo to ensure operational excellence with the Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) components of our highly automated testing workflow (including PCR, library prep, and sequencer operation).
- Validation & Testing: Oversee the compliance and accuracy of process validation runs; maintain reporting, tracking, and transfer of data to relevant stakeholders; and develop end-to-end testing schedules that align with our current pipeline capacity.
Please note: This is a fixed-term role for an approximate 6-month duration, with the potential to extend to full-time.
- Ensure operational excellence and seamless communication by serving as the primary liaison between the Operations Teams for Concentric and Ginkgo, as well as other key Ginkgo teams such as NGS, Automation, Digital Tech (Software, IT/DevOps, and UX/UI), and QA/QC.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leads to develop effective methods for tracking, reporting, and communicating the most up-to-date test results, status updates, process changes, project developments, and more to relevant teams and key stakeholders.
- Establish a high level of knowledge and understanding of our technology, equipment, resources, and regulations within Concentric's Operations Team by organizing training sessions, creating documentation, and providing key guidance and instruction to team members.
- Observe process validation and testing runs, and lead troubleshooting experiments, to identify, document, and relay key workflow and technology issues as they arise.
- Collaborate with Ginkgo's Automation, NGS, and other Foundry teams to properly balance the usage of shared lab space, equipment, and other resources across development work and operations.
- Liaise with Ginkgo's QA/QC Team and other Operations team members to ensure compliance of space design, signage, and other visual cues within core operational areas.
- Manage additional Operations team functions, as determined by Concentric growth and project progression.
- Bachelor's or master's degree in molecular biology or related field
- 2-5 years of experience in laboratory operations, preferably in a clinical laboratory environment
- Some experience managing laboratory operations and/or personnel, a plus
- Strong familiarity with NGS and high-throughput automation techniques (PCR, rt-PCR, barcoded library prep, RNA extraction) and equipment (Illumina sequencing platforms, Hamilton STAR liquid handling robots), and the desire and ability to learn new ones
- High-level knowledge of best practices with regard to lab operations, equipment, processes, and project management
- Ability to track, maintain, and analyze data to influence process improvements and inform key stakeholders
- Proficiency in organizing and leading training sessions, as well as providing continuous guidance and mentorship to fellow team members
- Ability to identify issues related to process, performance, and technology, and collaborate with cross-functional teams to solve them
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, as well as proficiency with various document management and productivity tools
- High level of comfort in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Extremely process-oriented mindset, with acute attention to detail
- Strong drive to help our project succeed, keeping in mind Ginkgo's mission and the customers we're supporting
We also feel it's important to point out the obvious here - there's a serious lack of diversity in our industry and it needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equality, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. We hope to continue to build a company whose culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with engineers from all walks of life. Making biology easier to engineer is a tough nut to crack - we can't afford to leave any talent untapped.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.