Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, the world's largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires to address the needs of a broad range of customers, including consumers, automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment manufacturers, and those in the agricultural, forestry and mining industries. The companies are also engaged in retreading operations throughout the Western Hemisphere and produce air springs, roofing materials, and industrial fibers and textiles. The Bridgestone Americas family of companies also operates the world's largest chain of automotive tire and service centers.Guided by its global corporate social responsibility (CSR), commitment 'Our Way to Serve,' Bridgestone embraces its responsibility as a global leader by striving to improve the way people move, live, work and play.
Job Category Engineering & Science
Position Summary The Applied Research position focuses on materials testing research, test method development and product validation. A Lead Professional position is a recognized subject matter expert in a job area typically obtained through advanced education and work experience. Responsibilities typically include managing large projects or processes with limited oversight from manager as well as coaching, reviewing and delegating work to less experienced professionals. Problems faced are difficult and often complex.
- Leads and/or supports large projects or processes of complex scope, with limited oversight from management.
- Coaches, reviews and delegates work to less experienced professionals.
- Assists in the development of operational plan and implements for areas of assigned responsibilities.
- Researches potential new technologies, products and test method development by developing and validating theories on the physical, chemical and/or biological properties of materials and ingredients under various conditions.
- Devises test methods and evaluates laboratory test equipment and processes. May also assist in the development of technical specifications.
- Makes recommendations concerning acquisition and use of new technologies and testing equipment to support business needs.
- Work with internal customers to understand their testing needs and work collaboratively to create new test methods
- Maintain and troubleshoot existing equipment and validate testing protocols.
- Communicate regularly with lab management on status of projects.
- Present project status and project closures to internal customers and stakeholders.
- May participate in intellectual property evaluations and development of patent applications
- Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field (Physics, Engineering, Material Science, or Chemistry)
- Master’s or Ph.D. Degree in Physics, Engineering, or Chemistry
- Tire and/or Rubber experience
- Physical Testing experience
- Excellent troubleshooting/problem solving skills
- Advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Ability to work within a team and collaborate with others
- Proficiency in data analysis tools and statistical applications * With prior Six Sigma and FEMA experience is a plus
- Experience in project management
- Advanced IT knowledge: computer programing, macro knowledge
- Familiar with lab safety protocols
- Knowledge of Quality systems
- LOTO experience
- Ability to perform basic mechanical and/or electrical maintenance, as needed.
Bridgestone is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. It is our policy to consider for employment all individuals regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
If hired, a Form I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification must be completed at the start of employment. Temporary work authorization or the need for sponsorship may disqualify you from employment.