*Please note that this is a Civil Service position. This position is not currently open, should there become an opening we will hire off of the list of applicants starting with the oldest application date.*
APPLICATION FOR CITY OF SPRINGFIELD LABOR SERVICE
Applicants must be at least 16 years of age at the time of filing application. Incomplete applications will not be processed. The name of an applicant will remain on the Labor Service register for the job title which he or she is registered for a period of not more than 5 years from the date of registration, subject to a renewal of registration as provided in Section 28, Chapter 31 of the General Laws, and subject to compliance with other applicable provisions of the Civil Service law and rules.
Responsible for the maintenance and repair of the Springfield School's heat systems and related equipment including all pneumatic control systems, thermostats and other devices. Work is performed with considerable independence in accordance with accepted trade practices adapted to municipal requirements under the general direction of a supervisor of higher grade who reviews work through inspections for conformance to established departmental standards. No supervision is exercised over other staff.
- Repairs and maintains pneumatic thermostat and controls.
- Removes, repairs and reinstalls pumps.
- Stops and repairs leaks as they occur.
- Maintains and replaces all system pipes and valves as needed.
- Completes reactive and preventative maintenance paperwork.
- Assists in emergencies as needed.
- Works according to the schedule prepared by the supervisor.
- Returns all work areas to a clean, neat, orderly and safe condition.
- Learns, understands and complies with fire, safety, and other emergency practices.
- Participates in training directed at increasing maintenance and other job-related skills.
- Performs related work as required.
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, materials, tools, equipment, and techniques of the trade.
- Ability to keep records of activities performed.
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and drawings.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to locate, diagnose, and correct defects and malfunctions on a variety of heat system equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Skill in the use and care of tools, equipment and materials of the trade.
- High school diploma or equivalent, including or supplemented by technical courses relating to the trade.
- Minimum of two years of experience as a skilled heat system mechanic.