NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
GOAL ZERO is looking for a Product Testing Manager responsible for ensuring that all new launching products, as well as any changes to existing products, meet design specifications, safety requirements, and generally meet and exceed customer expectations prior to production and launch. This role has full responsibility and accountability for product testing including defining and maintaining test strategies & tools, developing test scripts for each new product or change, executing & documenting test results, reporting results to engineers, developers and management, and making final recommendations for approval to release to production before product launches. The successful candidate will have a “Nothing gets by me and my team!” attitude and take great pride in developing a comprehensive set of tests that ensure new products are designed and developed to perform both as technically specified and as customers would expect in a variety of conditions. He or she will both develop the specific tests and protocols, as well as run strategic analyses and maintain feedback loops to ensure that recognizing potential quality issues with the product is a proactive function rather than a reactive one.
The role is responsible for leading a team of testers and technicians who share in ownership of ensuring Goal Zero launches high performance quality products. This role is also responsible for utilizing other Goal Zero employees, as well as brand ambassadors & key customers to run informal real word product tests and evaluations prior to a product launch. The role will work closely as a partner and extension of the product engineering/development and project management teams, while maintaining independence as the final authority that a product is ready to launch. This role will also coordinate with the quality assurance team to define and hand-off production quality specifications for new products that transition from development into production. The role requires a high level of electronics knowledge or aptitude.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Manage the test engineers and technicians, helping to build and maintain a program that delivers both immediate and long term solutions for testing and validating product designs
- Both through internal planning and by work closely with Customer Service, Marketing, Sales, and other Product Development teams, defines and delivers the right features, requirements, and specifications that ensure the best customer experience through the quality level of Goal Zero products
- Personally plans, and then manages a team that executes, a truly comprehensive set of test protocols to verify the all of the above defined requirements, both through internal/external lab testing and through user/beta testing
- Takes a stand or position in opposition to the launch of products or release of design changes that have not been fully verified or have known quality problems that affect the quality charter of the brand and business, recognizing that this position is sometimes in direct but natural conflict with the needs to launch products on time and within the scope/cost needed
- Work in conjunction with Project/Product Managers and design teams continuously to integrate best practices into the product development processes, ensuring that the DFx and test verification processes are a well-planned part of the product development lifecycle
- Work closely with Quality Assurance team to manage vendors and assist in improving quality in manufacturing within the vendor/production partner network, with a particular focus on Engineering Change Requests/Orders (ECRs) to improve product quality through improved design after the product has launched and is in market
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Mechanical Engineering from accredited University, preferred
- 7-10 years’ experience in product validation and testing, preferably in consumer-packaged goods, software, or electronics
- Fundamental understanding of electronics, software, firmware, plastics, assembly/box building, and other related engineering disciplines critical in the design and function of Goal Zero products and technologies
- 2-3 Years supervisory experience preferred
- Knowledge of battery (Lead-acid, NiMH, Lithium-ion), photovoltaic, and power conversion technologies
- Strong experience with consumer electronics products and goods with emphasis on portable power products a plus
- Proven track record of developing and implementing quality-focused initiatives that have a material impact on product driven organizations
- Understanding of common quality assurance methodologies, test strategies and test data collection
- Excellent communication and leadership skills with a self-starter attitude
- Open office environment – Primary
- Warehouse environment - Secondary
- Evening and weekend work as needed as job duties demand.
- Occasionally requires standing, sitting for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally requires lifting, up to 50lbs as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Domestic and International travel up to 10% may be required.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at )
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources