BlueRock Therapeutics, a wholly-owned and independently operated subsidiary of Bayer AG, is a leading engineered cell therapy company using its unique cell+gene platform to direct cellular differentiation and genetically engineer cells to create a new generation of cellular medicines that address large patient populations suffering from neurological, cardiovascular, and immunology diseases.
The convergence of cell biology and genetic engineering is creating fundamental new ways to impact disease. Founded in 2016 to capitalize on these technological breakthroughs, we are advancing our novel cell+gene platform to develop, manufacture, and deliver an entirely new generation of authentic and engineered cell therapies across three therapeutic areas: neurology, cardiology, and immunology.
What Are We Doing?
Our foundational science harnesses the ability to create and then direct the differentiation of universal pluripotent stem cells into authentic, functional cells that can be used as allogeneic cellular therapies to treat a broad array of diseases. We can also further engineer these cells, enabling them to produce enzymes, antibodies, and other proteins for additional therapeutic benefit.
We are passionate about delivering on the promise of cellular and gene therapy, shaping the future of cellular medicine, and delivering new therapies to millions of patients with treatment options.
We are seeking individuals who are collaborative, thrive in a fun and dynamic culture, and are steadfast in the commitment to advance cutting-edge cellular therapies to impact patients’ lives.
Description of Position:
The Director/Sr. Director of Facilities will be based in our Headquarters in Cambridge, MA site, this position provides innovative and strategic leadership for all aspects of BlueRock’s facilities non GMP operations, including facilities management, space planning and design, capital planning, construction management, real estate and lab operations.
BlueRock’s Technology Centers located in Cambridge, New York City, and Toronto and Berkeley will offer state-of-the-art biotechnology labs and facilities in a total floor space of 140,000ft²*. It includes facilities for GMP manufacturing, pre-clinical operations, and product development, as well as general administrative offices. The Sr./Director of Facilities must excel in fast-paced and complex lab and manufacturing environments.
This is a senior role, with the mandate to provide direction, strategy, prioritization and coaching to the Facilities team, as appropriate. Must serve as a bold champion for a superior customer service and performance excellence mindset within the department, commensurate with BlueRock’s world class facilities. Analyzes existing structure of organization and makes necessary adjustments to support long-term growth strategies.
- Facilities Management: The position oversees all aspects of the facilities management of BlueRock’s lab, office and manufacturing facilities that will total approximately 140,000 sqft² in total. Ensures superior levels of services in the areas of maintenance and repair, custodial, functions and set-ups, grounds, discreet and complex building systems, along with the financial management of the annual Facilities operating budget and long-range plan.
- Space Planning and Design: This position is accountable for all aspects of space planning and design. Leading a team of skilled professionals, works collaboratively with senior leadership and employee stakeholders to determine near-term space needs, long-term space needs, as well as scenario planning for future real estate requirements. Develops processes and tools to enhance rigor within space planning and space utilization.
- Capital Project Oversight: Ensures that BlueRock’s investments in our buildings are executed to the highest standard of quality and reliability. Enforces rigor in space analysis, planning and design, project management, and construction management. Partners with Legal, EHS, Procurement, Security and other stakeholders to ensure excellence in the bid evaluation, contract award and negotiation processes with general contractors and other vendors.
- Real Estate and Lease Administration: This position is responsible for all aspects of BlueRock’s real estate portfolio. Duties include, but are not limited to, site search and selection, outside brokerage and consultant relationships, contract development and execution, utilizing internal and external legal resources as applicable, lease negotiation and administration, and lease termination and close-out.
- 10-15 years of experience in complex, multi-site, multifunction facilities programs. 5 or more of these years should be in a leadership capacity. Experience in pharmaceutical/biotech or life sciences research and production facilities is required.
- Bachelor’s degree with concentration in business, engineering, or related fields. An advanced degree, MS or MA in a specialized field of study related to business or facilities management is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a wide constituency, including employees, outside vendors and representatives of municipal and regulatory entities at all BlueRock locations
- Extensive experience in partnering with leadership and employee stakeholders to design and implement a facilities strategy that aligns with BlueRock’s growth trajectory. Deep knowledge of long-range planning across a complex real estate portfolio is critical.
- Up to 25% travel between BRT sites
- Working knowledge of all regulatory and legal requirements impacting our facilities. Maintains working relationships with relevant municipal and state entities, as applicable, and ensures compliance with all mandated reporting.
- Strong organizational skills and an eye for detail. Self-motivated and excellent time management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate departmental requirements, policies, and procedures to all relevant stakeholders.