The Laboratory Assistant PSC (LAPSC) performs tasks to support the laboratory technical staff in the areas of specimen procurement, specimen processing and some basic lab testing. The position is required to work between multiple locations (both internal and external) on various shifts, often with little notice. Must have excellent ability to interact and interface with a wide range of colleagues, patients, donors and physicians.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required
- Minimum two-years experience of proven successful Lab Assistant experience, preferably with the Company or participation in an approved education program with a focus on phlebotomy and laboratory curriculum.
- Valid driver’s license is required with an acceptable driving record and access to reliable daily transportation to drive to various customer sites
- Understanding of medical terminology preferred
- Computer data entry experience required
- Excellent track record working with physician office staff, physicians, colleagues, clients and patients
- 1+ years of customer service experience preferred
- Able and authorized to work in the United States
- Reliable, dependable, and flexible to work at our various locations at different times with very little notice
- Additional requirements may apply and change without notice, including, but not limited to, criminal background check, health clearance and hospital compliance training
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments in all of our five core values:
Under general supervision and in accordance with Company policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Identifies patients/donors with accuracy to perform venipunctures, heelsticks, fingersticks and other specimen collection with proficiency without supervision.
- Successfully completes and maintains urine drug screen and breath alcohol testing certification.
- Performs toxicology (i.e., urine drug) collections and breath alcohol testing, per DOT guidelines
- Provides on-site or in-house urine drug collections or breath-alcohol testing.
- Labels specimens accurately and distributes them to the appropriate department to ensure specimen integrity.
- Accessions specimens accurately into the LIS system using prescribed laboratory guidelines.
- Processes specimens and prepares them for testing utilizing various types of lab equipment.
- Track all specimen samples in systems for inventory purposes as required.
- Maintains phlebotomy/collection area and equipment with ample supplies and in a clean and safe condition.
- Maintains adequate level of supplies in the processing work area, where applicable.
- Assists in the care and maintenance of lab work area, furnishings and equipment.
- Troubleshoots missing samples inquiries from other CLH facilities or physician offices.
- Follows test requirements of reference laboratory and procures appropriate specimen for testing.
- Assists in disposing of all laboratory wastes following OSHA and lab guidelines.
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal requirements and guidelines
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with company guidelines on attendance
- Conducts after-hour drug screen collections and breath-alcohol testing.
- Has own reliable transportation to drive to client on-site locations; will be reimbursed mileage at IRS rate
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Act as backup receptionist or courier.
- Conduct DNA paternity testing
- Independently maintain operations patient service center (PSC) or at phlebotomy station (IOP)
- Perform weekly inventory at site and place order with the purchasing department
- Receive requested stock items and distribute them to the appropriate place as requested
- Perform limited waived testing
- Pack and prepare dangerous goods shipment items to neighbor islands and/or Continental US.
- Be assigned to work at multiple locations on various shifts as required on short notice
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and lifting of up to 50 lbs may be required
- Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching.
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately.
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending over.
- Use of hands and fingers.
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals.
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), bio-hazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals.
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction.
- May be asked to work extended hours.
- Ability to see things from the customer’s/patient’s point of view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency or crisis situations with calmness and professionalism
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive working relationships
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy required
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish goals.
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform job.
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and standards.
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others’ time; adheres to schedules and agendas.
Company: Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
Full-Time; 40 hrs/wk
Primary Shift: Days; Mon-Sat; 0400-1800
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.