The primary job focus will be to work with the hosting and development teams to deploy, maintain, and optimize web application hosting environments. Secondarily, you may be expected to perform basic tasks within our hosting infrastructure.
This position is connected to our hosting support team and will be part of an on-call rotation to manage after-hours tasks as needed. Consequently, evening and weekend hours for server maintenance or emergency support are common.
- Preferred – Bachelor's Degree (preferably in a computer-related field)
- Well-versed in Git, CI, and deployment automation tools.
- Strong skills in shell scripting and configuration management tools.
- Linux tools/applications and concepts (Linux NFS, Postfix, SSH, DNS, iptables/ufw, ACL, etc.).
- General understanding of basic networking concepts and network security practices.
- Direct experience with deploying, configuring, and managing Linux servers and services, and all sizes of web hosting environments.
- Experience with optimizing site performance, testing, analyzing, and improving site speeds.
- Planning, testing, and implementing new application environments for both internal and client use.
- Solid understanding of web application architecture, including TCP/IP and HTTP.
- Ubuntu/Debian-based Linux preferred
- Web Servers (NGINX, Apache)
- Web languages (PHP, Node.js)
- Reverse proxy and load balancing strategies (NGINX, HAProxy, etc.)
- Open source datastore technologies (MySQL/MariaDB, Memcached, Redis, Solr, ElasticSearch, etc.)
- Strong grasp of automation tools such as Ansible
- Server monitoring tools and strategies (PRTG, Nagios, New Relic, etc.)
- GitLab is preferred. Other SCM platforms such as GitHub and Bitbucket are a plus.
- GitLab CI is preferred. Other CI/CD tools such as Travis or Jenkins CI are a plus.
- Knowledge of Docker, including how to create and deploy images, is preferred.
- Experience with Kubernetes is desired, but not required.
- Backup and storage technologies
- Network architecture
- Cloud services
- Responsible for the design, implementation, and support of our managed hosting.
- Work with sales staff and developers to determine scope and hosting requirements for new and existing products.
- Work with the engineering team to design and deploy hosting environments built for high availability, redundancy, scalability, and automated orchestration with consistent monitoring and logging.
- Refine and manage deployment orchestration through the use of SCM and CI tools.
- Integrate third-party services such as CloudFlare and New Relic to increase performance and reliability.
- Provide technical guidance, knowledge transfer, and mentorship to engineering peers as required.
- Plan and perform server maintenance according to Unleashed Technologies policies, which are based on industry best practices.
- Minimum of 3 years of Linux system administration experience
- Minimum of 3 years' experience developing for, or managing, open source platforms
- Strong technological skills, ability, and initiative to learn new platforms quickly
- Ability to clearly communicate technical and abstract ideas to technical as well as non-technical staff/clients
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and in a timely manner with clients
- Highly organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented individual with a strong ability to multi-task and meet or exceed deadlines
- Ability to parse out work and organize tasks with a strong method of follow-through