The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
To assure the efficient and effective functioning of the Summer Day Camp Program, to provide summer day camp staff supervision, to manage the daily schedule of activities, and to create a safe and fun environment for the campers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Corps Officers and in coordination with the Day Camp Director, the Assistant Day Camp director is responsible for the safe operation and instruction of all day camp activities in accordance with camp policies. The Day Camp Assistant Director helps to supervise Day Camp counselors, implements the schedule of activities, evaluates staff, programs and activities, and assists in monitoring check-in and check-out procedures. The Day Camp Assistant Director will also provide leadership when the Director is not available.
- Work closely with the Day Camp Director in the daily operations of Day Camp
- Participate in pre-camp training and planning process.
- Responsible for the safety and well-being of all campers and staff throughout the camp program.
- Abide by all Policies, procedures as well as standards set forth by The Salvation Army
- Complete Safe From Harm training
- Maintain Safe From Harm guidelines for working with children
- Supervision of campers and Counselors during all water activities and specialty programs.
- Lead by example.
- Evaluation of Counselors in a constructive way, giving and listening to any feedback.
- Organizing and insuring a high level of standards in all activities, themes, and specialty programs.
- Help Director establish and implement methods of staff motivation during the summer months.
- Assist peers with various responsibilities.
- Evaluation of the camp program with weekly evaluations and by gaining feedback from parents and campers weekly.
- In coordination with the Director, give Counselors breaks in their day to insure healthy staff for the duration of the summer.
- When Director not present, maintain visibility during check-in and check-out to help parents and campers.
- Constantly offer suggestions to improve camp and the programs offered.
- Maintain all paperwork pertinent to the job.
- Must be 21 years of age or older with a valid chauffeur’s driver’s license and able to pass The Salvation Army Motor Vehicle Register check
- Have two years of experience working with children, preferably in a camp setting
- Have previous experience in a responsible leadership position
- Ability to establish an effective working relationship with parents, employees, children and the general public
- Experience in coordinating, planning, organizing, and implementing activities for children
- Hold a first aid certificate/CPR certificate
- Ability to develop and implement a variety of creative activities on a consistent basis
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records regarding participants' vital statistics and attendance
- Ability to work outdoors in summer heat
While performing this job the employee will regularly stand for long periods of time, and will be required to handle materials and equipment for class and other activities. The employee is frequently required to walk, reach with arms and hands, and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 -50 pounds, and will require clear vision. The employee will be expected to participate with the campers in all activities. Many activities will be physical in nature requiring a lot of walking.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While preforming this job, the employee will be inside and outside throughout the day. The employee will coordinate activities in a gym setting, craft room, chapel as well as outdoors in parks and on various field trips that will require a lot of walking.
In addition: Must be highly organized, motivated, a self starter with the ability to multi-task, be creative.
From time to time duties and responsibilities that are not outlined in this job description may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the Corps Officer.
The Salvation Army USA