We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, approximately 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 5,000 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The engineering positions in the Transmission & Substation Services Department (T&SS) provides field engineering services and technical support for the maintenance, construction, testing, and commissioning of substation equipment up to and including 500 kV. This position may require a significant amount of time (approximately 60% of time or greater) working outside of an office environment, at various company and customer substation facilities and service centers. This job primarily provides day-to-day support to projects and tasks generally centered in a FirstEnergy operating company with some work assignments also within the other FirstEnergy operating companies.
- Providing commissioning oversight of new capital substation installations. This includes the review of engineering designs, development of check-out guides, commissioning checklists, review and approval of all operational and functional test results, development of equipment energization plans to minimize system risk, and final technical approval of equipment prior to it being released to transmission operations.
- Providing equipment release for test and initial energization, and providing final release for service of equipment to the transmission system operators.
- Providing onsite technical support to regional substation services employees during preventative and corrective maintenance activities.
- Applying engineering skills and operational knowledge in the identification and resolution of technical problems while in the field during the installation phase, testing phase, and during the design life of substation equipment. This includes challenging and validating design approaches when necessary.
- Providing emergency technical support following substation equipment failures to support customer restoration and system reinforcement. This includes developing field modifications and commissioning the installation of portable substations.
- Assisting in the development of new or in the modification of existing maintenance practices to address changing technology, new equipment types, improved test and diagnostic methods, regulatory changes, etc.
- Auditing of preventative and corrective maintenance paperwork and test results to verify technical adequacy and regulatory completeness.
- Assisting in performing Apparent Cause and Root Cause analyses, including formally documenting findings through the preparation of technical reports and presentations.
- Assisting in the education of others on technical subject matters and in the improvement of technical programs and process effectiveness.
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon a developing knowledge of potential hazards, industry regulations / requirements and company practices.
- Supporting the development of corporate programs and policies; assist others tasked with leading organizational change.
- Assisting senior technical staff in developing solutions to complex technical assignments.
- Supporting FE Utilities Operations and Maintenance staffs in reaching goals and meeting deadlines.
- Supporting the emergency plan through participation in assigned storm duties including hazard responding.
- Producing results that have a direct, positive impact on the Company.
- Consistently anticipating customer needs and delivering high quality results.
- Ability to work both independently and in unison with others including regional and plant personnel as well as other departments / sections and outside vendors.
- Willingness to travel throughout the FirstEnergy system including periodic overnight stays.
- Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited institution is required. In lieu of a degree, a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License is required.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Strong consideration will be given to those with previous experience in the design, maintenance or testing of substation equipment. Also, familiarity with the understanding, application, and communication of microprocessor-based protection and control equipment is considered beneficial. Experience with SEL products and software, Enoserve RTS, and Doble testing is also beneficial.
- Commitment to FirstEnergy’s Safety Policies and the Accident Prevention Handbook.
- Understanding of FirstEnergy’s Manual of Operations.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
- Ability to work extended hours or afterhours (e.g. evening, weekend and holidays) callouts to provide onsite technical and operational guidance in support of system emergencies.
- Must be able to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously and be able to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines, unexpected developments, changes in project scope, budget constraints, unforeseen field problems and demands on time for work assignments outside of the normal duties.
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to continue to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships.
- A willingness and an aptitude for training and mentoring technicians and other members of the technical engineering staff.
- Developed analytical and technical abilities, with a strong mechanical aptitude.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with people at all levels across the FE organization as well as with outside parties.
- Model active learning.
- Must be capable of driving projects and tasks to completion by working in the field with the regional substation physical work force.
- Deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Must live within a 45-minute commute of assigned work location.
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team