Fabricates, assembles, installs, and repairs sheet metal products and equipment such as control boxes, drain pipes, ventilators, chutes, and diverters.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND REQUIREMENTS * Select gauge and type of sheet metal according to product being fabricated and knowledge of metal.
- Locate and mark dimension and reference lines on sheet metal.
- May set up and operate fabricating machines such as shears, brakes, bending rolls, and punch and drill presses to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal.
- Shape metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer.
- May set up and operate soldering and welding equipment to join together sheet metal parts.
- Smooth seams, joints, or burred surfaces using files and portable grinder or buffer.
- Install assemblies in plant or work site according to blueprint specifications using hand tools and portable power tools.
- Inspect assemblies and installation for conformance with specifications using measuring instruments such as calipers, scales, and micrometer.
- Understand shop math.
- Work skillfully with tools, metals, and machines.
- Visualize three-dimensional objects from drawings, sketches, or blueprints.
- Work within precise limits and standards of accuracy.
- Lift objects of varying weights.
- Perform work from scaffolding, ladders, or other structures.
- Perform work overhead, beneath structure, and from various other positions as required by working conditions.
- Detect, recognize and respond to dangerous conditions or situations.