Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people's lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings - carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
The purpose of this position is:
- Responsible for successfully executing the front-line, well-defined tasks and activities in direct support of the assigned department’s daily objectives and outputs. Operates production equipment used in the manufacture of optical fiber, performs data entry, provides administrative support, and updates documentation.
- Follows all safety, health and environmental procedures and actively participates in maintaining and improving department safety.
- Operates equipment used to produce, transport, test or measure quality, store, ship or otherwise handle optical fiber within the facility, or equipment used to support or maintain the facility infrastructure. Specific activities can include but are not limited to setups, cleans, monitors, loads/unloads raw materials, inspects, and/or audits. Required to annually recertify on job performance.
- Follows established procedures to monitor and maintain equipment used for raw material storage, raw material delivery to point of use, waste product collection, handling, storage and disposal in compliance with all air and water permits.
- Performs data entry for pertinent department or equipment information.
- Performs audits on data or processes within defined work function.
- Performs first level troubleshooting as defined by area documentation.
- Inspects and/or refurbishes equipment parts using well-defined procedures.
- Writes or updates documentation relevant to job or department activities.
- Performs general administrative support such as schedules of meetings, types, prepares presentation or supporting materials, copies, files, or performs receptionist activities.
- Monitors and replenishes inventory of supplies and parts pertinent to department; places orders to maintain inventory at specified levels.
- Trains new or less experienced department members on job functions using appropriate training documentation and procedures.
- Participates on project teams to either improve or introduce new processes and systems within department.
- Proposes and implements solutions to routine problems with direction from supervisor.
- Work area varies dependent on assignment.
- For most assignments, work occurs within a clean manufacturing environment, with adequate workspace and lighting.
- Some work areas require hearing protection.
- Some work areas require working at heights of up to 20 feet with proper safety equipment
- Some work areas require working in spaces with elevated temperatures
- Occasionally lifts up to 50+ pounds.
- Stands, sits, bends and/or kneels for extended periods of time during a given work shift.
- Specific safety equipment (e.g., safety glasses, lab coats) is required in all plant areas.
- This position follows the DuPont Schedule, which is a rotating schedule between days and nights.
- Shifts will be 12 hours long and will cover weekdays, weekends, and some holidays
- Mandatory overtime may be required
- The schedule allows for up to 7 days off in a row per month and up to 14 days off total per month
- High School Diploma or GED required. Job duties require specific knowledge and skills, which are acquired through classroom and on-the-job training.
- No previous experience required.