- Work assignments of a General Mechanic span multiple trades (i.e., electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.). This position will be the principal resource for electrical systems.
- Perform system tests on generators, fire alarm systems, security systems, switchgear, and other systems as assigned.
- Performs inspection rounds and records the information into the appropriate files and databases.
- Participate in and successfully complete on going safety trainings required to access active BSL2, 3, and 4 laboratories.
- Performs scheduled and reactive maintenance on base building systems, laboratory support systems, and in laboratories including active BSL2, 3 and 4 laboratories.
- Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs the building HVAC and control systems and related components for safe, efficient, and cost effective operation.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs equipment including but not limited to high and low pressure steam lines, steam boiler, steam traps, pumps, heat exchangers, control valves, humidifiers, drain lines, plumbing vents, Effluent Decontamination System, ph neutralization system, etc.
- Replace motors, belts, bearings, pump seals and adjust alignment.
- Installs, maintains and calibrates Building Automation System (BAS) components related to base building and laboratory systems
- Prepares stock orders for purchasing.
- Ensures work areas are clean and free of debris upon completion of all tasks.
- May mentor other mechanics on maintenance of specific systems.
- Responds to calls from the Control Center and will be part of an “on-call” rotation with the other General Mechanics
- Must attend certificate training provided by BUMC: ex. Lockout tag out, NFPA, Hazardous communication
- Work with and support contracted service providers as necessary.
3rd or Nights.
SALARY & BENEFITS
$43.91/hour + shift differential.
Benefits eligible with health, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition remission, and more!!!
This position is union represented. Visit union contract . Required Skills
- Employment is contingent on initial and continued successful background checks as determined by Boston University and applicable external agencies and meeting all applicable elements of Research Occupational Health Programs and Personnel Suitability & Reliability Program (includes initial and random drug screening) throughout the period of employment. Please note: the standards of background checks, etc. may change at any time should there be amendments to applicable laws or policies relevant to Boston University and the NEIDL.
- Minimum of four years related experience in the maintenance and repair of building electrical, fire alarm, and security systems. Experience also in HVAC and plumbing is a plus.
- Experience with building automation systems graphical interface, preferably Siemens Building Automation systems.
- Ability to read blue prints.
- Ability to specify proper parts and equipment for repairs and new installations.
- Ability to lift and move heavy items and equipment individually (up to 70 pounds) or as part of a team.
- Must be able to safely use ladders and access elevated areas such as catwalks.
- Must be able to work in close proximity to animals.
- Requires a working knowledge of computer software including databases and office suite software.
- The position requires the ability to speak, read, comprehend, and write fluently in the English language.
- Must maintain compliance with all NEIDL training requirements, and all safety protocols and procedures
- Work requires 4 years of experience with the credentials of a Massachusetts Journeymen’s Electrician’s License and maintain throughout employment.
- Must have and maintain valid driver’s license.
- Master Electricians License
- Fire Alarm Technician’s License
- Security Systems Technician’s License
- Knowledge of NFPA 70E
- Knowledge of HVAC/Controls
Individuals seeking affiliation with or employment within the NEIDL may be subject to the following suitability requirements. Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in ineligibility for employment or affiliation:
- Criminal Background Check: To be completed in accordance with BU Public Safety guidelines and all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
- Basic Background Check: Includes, but is not limited to, verification of:
- Social Security Number;
- Academic credentials;
- Past employment;
- Licenses and credentials;
- Sexual Offender Registry Information (SORI) check;
- Credit history check;
- RMV/DMV driving record, if required.
- Medical Clearance Process: includes Research Occupational Health Program (ROHP) evaluation, drug screening, initial psychological screening, and immunization/titer level review completed in accordance with NEIDL Medical Surveillance Policy for all employees working at the NEIDL.
- Training and Education: to be completed in accordance with Section 8, Ongoing Personnel Reliability Program, for all employees working at the NEIDL.
- Department of Justice Criminal Background Check and Fingerprinting: To be completed in accordance with CDC requirements as part of application to have access to Select Agents.
- Select Agent Use Approval: to be completed in accordance with all regulations including the requirements of the Boston Public Health Commission (BPHC), Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
- periodic background reviews, including but not limited to: criminal background, credit history, drug screening, and behavioral evaluations;
- periodic checks and regular renewals of security credentials, any applicable licenses, and verification of the successful completion of any required training at the facility
- Search of person, clothing and effects prior to entry into or egress from NEIDL
Continued employment/ affiliation is contingent upon strict adherence, at all times, to all applicable safety and security rules, procedures, and protocols, as well as required training regimens.
This position is 50% grant funded
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States Position Type Full-Time/Regular