Who we are:
Remember the last time you opened a bottle of champagne? A cold beer after a hard day’s work or a bottle of sparkling mineral water to quench your thirst? Well, it was probably made by us. We are O-I and we love that we make more glass containers than anyone in the world.
O-I has more than a century of experience crafting pure, sustainable, brand-building glass packaging for many of the world’s best-known food and beverage brands. We are proud to provide high-quality glass packaging for beer, wine, spirits, food, non-alcoholic beverages, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals.
With nearly 27,000 employees and an unparalleled footprint spanning almost 80 plants in 23 countries, O-I is a truly global maker of glass packaging.
From engineering and manufacturing to brand development, design and innovation, we are dedicated to providing unique solutions to exceed our customers’ expectations and fuel consumers’ desire for glass.
This is a rotational Manufacturing Development Program in our North America factories. The work and assignments in a manufacturing plant will be consistent with the outlines of the North America Manufacturing Development Program and the Global Development Program. The program and assignments are intended to further the development of the individual's education, knowledge, and/or experience, as it relates to glass container manufacturing. In time, the assignments and work activities contribute to the plant's overall performance. Assignments are designed to allow the individual to develop communication and interpersonal skills by working with managerial and production employees. The development will provide the foundational knowledge and experiences needed to launch one’s career at O-I and become a future plant leader.
Has broad responsibility for engaging in, learning and in some cases leading manufacturing systems, processes and procedures, and projects. Through the development program, one will contribute to improving their own skills, but also plant production and associated metrics. Provides support and assistance on a diverse range of manufacturing processes and procedures to the UPM and plant production team.
Throughout your rotation through various roles across the business, you will be responsible for the following –
- Promote and work to a high degree of safety and environmental consciousness at all times including compliance with both statutory & in-house safety and environmental requirements and conducting hazard identification/risk assessment & workplace inspections and safety audits
- Collaborate with members each function and contribute to various business as usual and project-related tasks
- Collect, collate, analyze and report on data related to role-relevant processes
- Attend relevant training and assessments as required throughout the graduate program
- Exhibit a customer centric approach to all aspects of your work
- Identify opportunities for improvements in safety, quality and efficiency and work with relevant stakeholders to design and implement improvements into standard operating procedure at O-I
- Bring new engineering insights into O-I’s manufacturing practices
- Drive communication and collaboration within cross-functional workgroups
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement within the department including training and development of subordinates and ensuring adherence to housekeeping and hygiene standards
- Leadership - Who we are (O-I strategy, One Plan, Learning Maps, Values, Behaviors)
- Leadership Development Series
- Awareness/Developing Self
- Accessibility & Time Management
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Performance Management/Performance Connection
- Conflict Management
- Be Brilliant Leadership Modules
- Technical – Manufacturing Excellence (GMP, MOE)
- Technical Discipline Rotations
- Continuous Improvement – (Including Green Belt)
- Problem Solving & Root Cause Analysis
- Operations Management – EH&S
- OIS & TSC
- Finance (Cost value generation)
- Commercial (customer focus)
- Supply Chain (customer requirement to product delivery)
- Week 1 – Group Orientation
- Months 1 – 4 – Rotations: EHS, Quality, Batch & Furnace, Cold End/Inspection, Plant Engineering, Product & Mold Design, Job Change, Forehearth & Forming
- Month 5 – Shift Work Rotation/FMU Rotation
- Months 6 – 18 – Specialty Deep Dive – Learning in a specific role, reporting to PNL
- Following the 18-month rotational trainee program, relocation will be expected. This relocation would be for a permanent manufacturing leader role in another North American manufacturing location.
- Some travel may be required within the North American region (up to 10-15%)
- This position reports to Plant UPM, with a dotted line to the Plant Manager and respective Area Director.
- 4-year degree in operations, engineering, ceramics, glass science, packaging, business or other related field of study.
- Prefer internship and/or co-op experience in a manufacturing or production environment.
- Strong communication, organization, planning and interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy and proficiency
- A strong interest and desire to work in a manufacturing environment
O-I is committed to fostering an inclusive environment that attracts and embraces the brightest minds and creates a culture that welcomes a diversity of ideas and perspectives while encouraging growth and rewarding performance.
Must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations. Must be authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis. (O-I does not sponsor working visas for internships or co-ops).
O-I is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please contact O-I at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.