Welcome to Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel Lahey Health. Winchester Hospital was the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association's highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. It has since received the recognition a fourth time. As the northwest suburban Boston area's leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery.
About the Job
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes to the Hospital's mission by performing a wide variety of facility maintenance/ renovation work, performing skilled craft work to ensure the hospital facilities are maintained/ renovated to create a safe and aesthetically pleasing environment for our patients and staff. This craft position will have an impact on hospital operations by minimizing downtime and on patient and staff satisfaction and safety.
Required: High School Diploma or equivalent. Two (2) additional relevant trade experiences may be considered in lieu of education.
Required: At least three (3) years relevant craft experience
· For safety and quality reasons, must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English with patients, visitors and fellow members of the hospital team.
· Able to perform work with minimal supervision and/or direction.
· Ability to read and comprehend blueprints.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, CERTIFICATIONS:
· Valid driver's license
· If performing boiler operations: Second Class Fireman certificate
Per diems: The valid driver's license requirement may be waived for per diem status.
LIFE SUPPORT CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: N/A
POPULATION SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS: N/A
OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
On-call: Participates in on-call rotation.
Schedule requirements: Based on the issue, schedule variations and/or overtime may be required.
Travel requirements: Some local travel involved.
Reports to: Manager of Engineering
· Not responsible for supervising the work of others.
As part of the Engineering team, this position:
· Participates in a team approach for the in-house Engineering Department by performing cross functionally and assisting beyond typical trade boundaries but within licensure requirements. Works closely with other members of the department to assist in the completion of work orders.
· Performs preventative maintenance work on systems, equipment, facilities, and structure in assigned area. Establishes and maintains an effective preventative maintenance routine and schedule that complies with and maximizes operations and facility safety.
· Responds to Service Response Center pages to investigate and then resolve calls according to the program.
· Conducts rounds and performs daily shift inspection of the facilities and utility systems.
· Monitors Life Safety Code compliance in areas assigned and reports violations and concerns through the proper chain of command.
· May be required to assist Engineering Department with additional duties such as but not limited to
o Minor carpentry
o Painting and painting related tasks
o General maintenance duties
· Detects and reports improper operation, faulty equipment, defective materials and unsafe and/or unusual conditions to supervisor.
· Views the user group as the customer and collaborates with them to address their needs. Does all possible to minimize the disruption associated with the required work.
· Performs all required documentation accurately, legibly and timely.
· Assists other team members within licensure allowances.
· Determines materials and supplies needed for projects/work, prepares requisitions, orders supplies and maintains adequate levels of stock to eliminate lag time in projects. Receives and stores materials for the Engineering Department's use.
· Assists with snow removal and other projects as requested by supervisor.
· If properly certified, may regularly maintain the appropriate boiler pressure on the low and high pressure boiler systems to optimize the efficiency of the systems.
Full time, 40 hours.
Beth Israel Lahey Health is an integrated system providing patients with better care wherever they are. Care informed by world-class research and education. We are doctors and nurses, technicians and social workers, innovators and educators, and so many others. All with a shared vision for what healthcare can and should be. We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the communities in which we work and serve. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels and offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.