Accent Controls, Inc. (ACI) is seeking a full-time Heavy Equipment Mechanic with Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) certification to support field and sustainment level maintenance at Detroit Arsenal, Logistics Readiness Center (LRC), located in Detroit Arsenal, Warren, Michigan.
The non-exempt job classification is covered under the contract's collective bargaining agreement.
The Heavy Equipment Mechanic analyzes malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds and maintains power equipment, such as forklifts, fire trucks, conveyors, light tower trailers, compressors, portable hydraulic bleachers, generators, and pneumatic tools. This worker operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects, dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools, examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges, replaces defective engines and subassemblies and tests equipment to insure operating efficiency. Work involves diagnosing and repairing vehicle systems on fire equipment, complex firefighting apparatus, and related equipment. The mechanic welds broken parts and structural members, engages in cleaning parts and assisting with assembly and disassembly of equipment.
- Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) certification is required.
- Operates and inspects machines or equipment to diagnose defects. Determines general condition of vehicles or equipment, nature of malfunctions and extent of needed repairs using equipment such as aligning machines, test equipment, gauges, oscilloscopes, stroboscopes, dynamometers, wheel balancing etc.
- Diagnose and repair vehicle and mechanical systems on fire equipment, complex firefighting apparatus, and other emergency vehicle and related equipment.
- Use manual techniques or computerized systems to diagnose operational problems on all types of firefighting apparatus and heavy equipment troubleshoot problems with a variety of complex hydraulic and electrical systems on firefighting apparatus.
- Checks condition and replace all fluids, coolants and lubricants as needed. Uses hoists, hand tools, power tools and power equipment such as valve refining machines, brake drum lathes, aligning machines, etc.
- Maintain accurate records of each repair performed on equipment and vehicles.
- Dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hoists and hand tools.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges. Tests overhauled equipment to insure operating efficiency. Welds broken parts and assist with assembly and disassembly of equipment.
- Diagnosing the source of trouble and determining the extent of repairs required.
- Replacing worn of broken parts such as piston rings, bearings, or other engine parts; grinding and adjusting valves, rebuilding carburetors; and repairing fuel injection, lighting, and ignition systems.
- Perform routine vehicle and equipment preventive maintenance inspections. Check and replace fluids, check lights and other electrical system components, etc.
- Performs general preventive and corrective maintenance as assigned.
- Maintains and cleans tools and equipment, and workspace.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for conforming to all safe work practices and procedures.
Subject to working outdoors during periods of inclement weather. Works on concrete floors and in drafty areas. May be exposed to fumes, fluids, and dirt, resulting in bruises, cuts, burns, and skin irritation. Wearing of protective wear and other safety equipment is required during all periods of exposure to hazardous conditions.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Including, but not limited to, standing, squatting, lifting (up to 75 pounds or more); carrying, walking; pushing and pulling
- Including, but not limited to, sitting and driving
- Including, but not limited to, problem-solving, decision-making, data interpretation, organization; reading and writing
- Knowledge of basic computer skills such as Microsoft Word and Excel
Five years of experience as a heavy equipment mechanic in an acknowledged commercial or governmental repair program. Must have a current Emergency Vehicle Technician certification. Must possess current ASE or equivalent certifications. Must have full knowledge of and the ability to troubleshoot and repair both gasoline and diesel-powered internal combustion engines, associated power trains, air and hydraulic brake systems and all other vehicular component parts. Must be able to read and comprehend technical manuals and publications to interpret mechanical specifications, tolerance limits, troubleshooting and repair techniques. Must possess a valid state driver's license with and be able to obtain applicable military driver's license within 30 days. May require CDL endorsements for equipment/vehicles operated. Formal certifications required. Specific positions may require individual to pass an annual physical examination. Specific positions may require the individual to possess or obtain a security clearance and/or ability to pass a background investigation to obtain a Department of Defense (DoD) Common Access Card.
High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED). Must possess a valid State Mechanic certification. Must possess ASE or equivalent certifications. Must possess a current Emergency Vehicle Technician (EVT) certification at the time of hire. Must possess Maintenance, Inspection, and Testing of Fire Apparatus certification or equivalent. Design and Performance Standards of Fire Apparatus certification a plus. Air Brake certification a plus. Must be able to provide all certifications.
The job description, below, is meant to be a guide. It is not intended to limit in any way the duties an employee may be required to perform. This job description may be updated at the discretion of the company.
ACI maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment and random substance abuse testing and background verification checks. ACI provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ACI complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. ACI participates in E-Verify.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro